Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tp for matching points and seams perfectly

Blog Entries

Tp for matching points and seams perfectly

I saw this tip here recently and tried it yesterday and was very happy with the results. I was joining two halves of a large quilt together so there were many seams and many many points to match, always a nightmare for me. After I pinned the pieces together, I sewed just a few stitches on either side of the seam or point, cut the thread and moved to the next seam. Did this all across the quilt. All my points were very accurate, and if one is off a little bit, you only have to take out a few stitches and re sew it. Then I went back and joined the pieces between the seams. I think when sewing a long seam (i.e. when joining two halves of a quilt together) the fabric shifts and no matter how carefully you pin, it is hard to get a perfect match. This method made all my points perfect and made me very happy.

That is an interesting idea. I will soon start joining my blocks together for my Omigosh quilt and there are 221 blocks in total and each block is a 9 patch so that is a LOT of seams to match. I may consider this method and give it a try. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the great tip
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    As I stated in other posts, it helps to baste those point and side seam areas with a longer stitch length. If any points or seams are off, it is much easier to take out those stitches and is less stress on the fabric when using a length of 3.5 or so. When the seams and points match up to your liking, go back and change the stitch to your shorter desired length and sew the longer seams. In my experience sewing the points and side seams first, I find I can finish more quilts- faster and with less frustration because I am not taking out seams and re-doing blocks when the measurements are off or I am not happy with those wonky points. Along with measuring finished sections and blocks while sewing, it is one of the best tips I learned when I started quilting so long ago.

Both hints are REALLY good! This is one of those (bonk on the head) "why didn't I think of this" moments!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Great tip, thanks!!!!

This sounds like a very good idea, thanks.

Excellent! Thank you.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Trying to remember all the tips I have read is very hard. Good tip.
    Some glue the seams after matching up, just us the tip of iron to dry the glue.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Wonderful tip! Definitely will use it on my next quilt as I, too, have always had a nightmare of a time trying to match up long seams.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast