Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trade for quilting >

Trade for quilting

Trade for quilting

Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 AM

Since you asked: I would work on some other quilt that I have for EIGHT HOURS and see how much I get done. It takes a lot more than 8 hours to make one quilt. Think this deal over carefully and your work is valuable. Hour for hour might be okay? Think it over twice.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 AM

I agree with the other about being careful doing the trade. Personal trainers where I live in Sacramento, CA charge $35. and up for 30 minutes. Going rate for an hour is $60. and up. Ask her when she wants the quilting finished, maybe she wants it right away, are you willing to drop everything and just work on her quilt? Personal training is usually done over several weeks and months, is she willing to do that in the long haul? Definitely get it in writing, you both read and sign it. It makes it real and just writing it and reading it may make you feel differently about trading.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 AM

:-) it's sounding more like she wants whole cloth quilts (2 crib sized) just quilted and bound. Piece of cake. :-) and I'm thinking we'll go with a straight across trade hour for hour, with her buying the materials and us shopping together. All the details haven't been worked out yet, but so far that's how it looks, and we're both happy with this, so I think it'll work out really well.

Thank you for the input, I wasn't sure I could get away with a straight across trade for time, but it's looking like it will work out.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BillieJean View Post
I have a very good friend and I do her hair for free. I make her handbags for free, she does things for me, but I always pay her, I feel like I am getting the raw end of the friendship...I don't know how to change it...

My advice is be careful ...
Sorry. If she is a very good friend, she is taking advantage of you.

You need to speak up. But if you don't want to damage the friendship by speaking up, I think you should be too busy to make any handbags from now on.

Also too busy to do anything else for her for free except her hair. Did this all start with doing her hair for free? And then she gradually managed to get you to add more freebies?

I've met women like her: they are called USERS
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BillieJean View Post
I have a very good friend and I do her hair for free. I make her handbags for free, she does things for me, but I always pay her, I feel like I am getting the raw end of the friendship...I don't know how to change it...

My advice is becareful ...
Your very good friend is taking advantage of you. You do for her, she should do for you. Trading services should make both of you feel good, and you are not feeling good. Just say to her "Let's trade out. I will do your hair for you, and you can make 2 dozen cookies for me to take to my quilt guild meeting on Wednesday" or whatever you need her to do. And don't offer to pay for the ingredients!