Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trade for quilting >

Trade for quilting

Trade for quilting

Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 AM

Don't do it unless you are willing to loose her as a friend. It is easy for you both to see how many hours are spent in personal training, but it will be hard for her to understand how many hours it takes to make a quilt.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM

I think that if you both feel that you are getting a deal, then you are. If you can't afford personal training, but have the time to work on a quilt then it doesn't matter. Only thing I would be wary of is the difficulty of the quilt itself. That can make a huge difference in time. I make quilts just for fun without anyone paying me a nickel, so for me that would work out great
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mustangquilts View Post
I totaly agree. To cut,make,baste,quilt and bind a quilt for 8 hours of training is not worth it.
Originally Posted by BillieJean View Post
I have a very good friend and I do her hair for free. I make her handbags for free, she does things for me, but I always pay her, I feel like I am getting the raw end of the friendship...I don't know how to change it...

My advice is becareful ...
You truly need to speak up and talk with her. If she is a true friend she will understand. If she is not willing to listen then she is just an user and you can send her down the road!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 AM

Don't do it...........Don't do it..............Don't do it She would be severely using you!!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 PM

If I were in your shoes, she would purchase the pattern and fabrics for top and backing etc..I would estimate my time to make the quilt and I would charge in the $15 -$25 per hour range depending on the complexity of design. Regarding the longarm quilting if she wants the quilt custom quilted then I would charge whatever your rate would be depending on complexity of quilting. I have no idea what a personal trainer charges per month but I would expect to barter weeks/month(s) of personal training of an equal value for your work to produce what she wants from you. And I agree DO NOT under estimate the value the skill that you bring to the table.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM

Oh and also..I would have a "contract" agreement written up that clearly states the terms prior to you starting working on her quilt..it should be a legal document that would stand up in a court of law. I hope you know this person very very well. I think I would work on her quilt and also use up some bartered personal training along the way..
Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM

Good luck! It could out where you are both very happy or both very sad. Time is money, whether it is hers or yours.
I myself wouldn't do it because I am too independent. I want to work on what I chose when I chose to do it. Otherwise it would seem like a job to me.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 PM

If the two of you can agree to what each considers an equitable trade, then I say go for it. If either is likely to end up feeling like having gotten the raw end of the deal, then forget it.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 PM

When you say "sew/quilt" is there a chance that she's thinking of some sewing in addition to those crib quilts? Go with caution, especially if she picks the fabrics. One of my friends years ago agreed to make a skirt for another friend of hers, thinking: "How hard can that be?" and the woman picked a sheer, slippery fabric that frayed like crazy and had to be lined. It was extremely difficult to work with. She had to buy a special foot for her machine, and a straight stitch needle plate. The fact that her friend bought the fabric made it all the more difficult because she was afraid of ruining it. Even if it's fabric only for quilting, you should go along for the shopping because your friend may not know the difference between one fabric and another. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by BillieJean View Post
I have a very good friend and I do her hair for free. I make her handbags for free, she does things for me, but I always pay her, I feel like I am getting the raw end of the friendship...I don't know how to change it...

My advice is becareful ...
You do her hair for free AND make bags for her for free, yet when she does things you pay her? If you feel like you're getting the raw end of the deal - you ARE! My inclination would be to stop paying her for whatever it is she does for you. And if she complains, at least you know where you stand in the "friendship" and can decide whether her company is worth feeling used, or if you would be happier finding a less demanding friend. Good luck!