Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Trapunto/Poly Batt Question

  1. #1
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,191

    Trapunto/Poly Batt Question

    I have played a little with trapunto before but am working on my first small whole cloth project. I want to puff the living daylights outta the designs on this thing! LOL* I bought some cheapie poly high loft batting in a bag from Wal-mart for experimenting. Can you guys who do this a lot tell me, do you use poly for the whole quilt too? I was thinking, do the trapunto work on the areas I want super puffy, cut away, then layer the whole lot on top of another high loft poly hunk and quilt densly around the puffy areas to make it stand out more. Does that make sense? Is this how you do it? This is my first whole cloth/trapunto project so I would love to hear thoughts and suggestions!
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  2. #2
    Super Member Charming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Perris, CA
    Posts
    1,869
    Sorry cant help you much as to advise you what to you or do but I love trapunto and it is in my bucket list (looks like a warehouse now) and I just bought a book last week written by a QB member (Geta Grama) and it is wonderful and the instruction sounds so easy but haven't tried any yet. The book is called Shadow Trapunto Quilts

    Good luck
    Faten
    Work like you don't need the money
    Love like youÂ’ve never been hurt

  3. #3
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grundy Co Illinois
    Posts
    5,034
    The trapunto part will stand out more if the areas around it are flatter. When I did it, I used a poly for the trapunto area and W&N cotton for the whole quilt. You can also use a poly for the whole quilt and just quilt more densely on the areas surrounding the trapunto to get it flatter.

    Experiment with both on small scraps and see what you like best.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  4. #4
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    The trapunto part will stand out more if the areas around it are flatter. When I did it, I used a poly for the trapunto area and W&N cotton for the whole quilt. You can also use a poly for the whole quilt and just quilt more densely on the areas surrounding the trapunto to get it flatter.

    Experiment with both on small scraps and see what you like best.
    Thank you for this! That is all the confirmation I need. I think I'm going to try poly/poly. When I first began quilting nearly ten years ago I really turned my nose up at poly batting. You know how you're just taught one thing and that kind of sticks with you as the thing you're "supposed" to do? But the trapunto quilts that have been cropping up all over lately have been amazing!!! In addition I've been noticing how the poly really highlights the quilting in a way that cotton doesn't. Poly is BACK in quilt rotation for me!!!!! LOL*
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  5. #5
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Charming View Post
    Sorry cant help you much as to advise you what to you or do but I love trapunto and it is in my bucket list (looks like a warehouse now) and I just bought a book last week written by a QB member (Geta Grama) and it is wonderful and the instruction sounds so easy but haven't tried any yet. The book is called Shadow Trapunto Quilts

    Good luck
    I meant to say thank you to this as well, but hit the "post" button too soon!!! Yes, I have been to Geta's blog and seen her book - I LOVE her shadow trapunto!!! I don't know if it's something I'll try soon, but it's on my bucket list too!
    Last edited by pumpkinpatchquilter; 12-08-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,017
    It would be helpful to see the trapunto pattrn/design you are using there is a techniue where you cut ut the trapunto shape and then with a spot of glue to place it under the trapunto area then ad the second batting and quilt around the trapunto shapes. This will give the trapunto shape without stuffing the area. I have never been able to get the trapunto area stuffed evenly.
    Last edited by Holice; 12-08-2012 at 10:48 AM.

  7. #7
    Super Member azwendyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    1,963
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    I have played a little with trapunto before but am working on my first small whole cloth project. I want to puff the living daylights outta the designs on this thing! LOL* I bought some cheapie poly high loft batting in a bag from Wal-mart for experimenting. Can you guys who do this a lot tell me, do you use poly for the whole quilt too? I was thinking, do the trapunto work on the areas I want super puffy, cut away, then layer the whole lot on top of another high loft poly hunk and quilt densly around the puffy areas to make it stand out more. Does that make sense? Is this how you do it? This is my first whole cloth/trapunto project so I would love to hear thoughts and suggestions!
    Yes, it sounds like you've got the right idea for sure. I've done a bit of trapunto and love the way it looks. I've used poly for both the trapunto and the overall layer of batting. The poly "packs" down nicely when you quilt it fairly densely. You might want to try a small experimental piece using the fabrics and battings you have picked out just to make sure you like the affect you get. Can't wait to see what you do with your trapunto!
    Wendy

  8. #8
    Super Member Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,015
    Blog Entries
    1
    When I took classes in this, the recommendation was to use thin cotton for the overall quilting and puffy poly for the trapunto'd parts. At that time, we used water-dissolving thread to sew around the designs, then cut away the poly from the back -- kind of tedious, as you have to be very careful not to accidentally cut the top fabric!

    Since then I have seen a different approach. Basically what you do is cut the trapunto design out of the poly, spray the design on one side with basting spray, and then position on the wrong side of the top fabric. Eliminates the problem of accidentally cutting the top and saves a lot of time. Probably the best way to cut out the trapunto design from poly is to delicately iron freezer paper (with the design traced on it) to the poly batting, cut the design out, then remove the freezer paper. You have to be *really* careful about iron temperature because poly batting melts if the iron is too hot.

  9. #9
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
    Yes, it sounds like you've got the right idea for sure. I've done a bit of trapunto and love the way it looks. I've used poly for both the trapunto and the overall layer of batting. The poly "packs" down nicely when you quilt it fairly densely. You might want to try a small experimental piece using the fabrics and battings you have picked out just to make sure you like the affect you get. Can't wait to see what you do with your trapunto!
    Thank you! That is a good idea, I'm definitely going to experiment first and see what happens. I am making just a small candle mat sort of thing that will be a Christmas gift to practice. I have already sewn the initial design, cut away, going to make dinner then begin doing the surrounding quilting.

    I will post some pictures when I finish!

    Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    It would be helpful to see the trapunto pattrn/design you are using there is a techniue where you cut ut the trapunto shape and then with a spot of glue to place it under the trapunto area then ad the second batting and quilt around the trapunto shapes. This will give the trapunto shape without stuffing the area. I have never been able to get the trapunto area stuffed evenly.
    I have seen this method! Thank you for sharing! I think that would be a great way to do the shadow trapunto. I will have to try it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    When I took classes in this, the recommendation was to use thin cotton for the overall quilting and puffy poly for the trapunto'd parts. At that time, we used water-dissolving thread to sew around the designs, then cut away the poly from the back -- kind of tedious, as you have to be very careful not to accidentally cut the top fabric!

    Since then I have seen a different approach. Basically what you do is cut the trapunto design out of the poly, spray the design on one side with basting spray, and then position on the wrong side of the top fabric. Eliminates the problem of accidentally cutting the top and saves a lot of time. Probably the best way to cut out the trapunto design from poly is to delicately iron freezer paper (with the design traced on it) to the poly batting, cut the design out, then remove the freezer paper. You have to be *really* careful about iron temperature because poly batting melts if the iron is too hot.
    Thank you for this!!! I'm going to try the poly/poly for this first small experiment and then do the poly/cotton as you learned and see what I like better. This is good to know though that you learned to do it with poly/cotton.

    OH - now, I didn't think of this before. I stitched the whole design with white thread...but I will have to go back over it when I add the backing - NOW I understand why people use the water soluble thread!!! AH-HA!!!!! Thank you for this!!! I didn't realize what an accumulation of thread I'm going to have now. Oh well - thus the reason for EXPERIMENTING! Yes I see your point, tedius but much better result.

    Any recommendations on water soluble threads and where to get them?
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  10. #10
    Super Member Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,015
    Blog Entries
    1
    Superior Threads has two weights of water soluble threads. When I used the lighter weight (which is widely available elsewhere, not just at Superior), I had to sew carefully so as not to break the thread, which is quite delicate. I used regular thread in the bobbin (just match color to color of top; won't show through later). The heavier weight from Superior might be better for this application.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.