View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 PM
azwendyg

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
I have played a little with trapunto before but am working on my first small whole cloth project. I want to puff the living daylights outta the designs on this thing! LOL* I bought some cheapie poly high loft batting in a bag from Wal-mart for experimenting. Can you guys who do this a lot tell me, do you use poly for the whole quilt too? I was thinking, do the trapunto work on the areas I want super puffy, cut away, then layer the whole lot on top of another high loft poly hunk and quilt densly around the puffy areas to make it stand out more. Does that make sense? Is this how you do it? This is my first whole cloth/trapunto project so I would love to hear thoughts and suggestions!
Yes, it sounds like you've got the right idea for sure. I've done a bit of trapunto and love the way it looks. I've used poly for both the trapunto and the overall layer of batting. The poly "packs" down nicely when you quilt it fairly densely. You might want to try a small experimental piece using the fabrics and battings you have picked out just to make sure you like the affect you get. Can't wait to see what you do with your trapunto!