Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traveling to Maine >

Traveling to Maine

Traveling to Maine

Old 04-30-2017, 03:46 AM

Fiddleheads in Belfast would be on my list. And.....if you like reproduction fabrics, check out Busy Thimble in Litchfield.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:16 AM

If you're going up Rt 88 in NYS, stop at Fieldstone House. More fabric than you can imagine; it will totally overwhelm you. Call ahead to make sure they aren't away at a show. There were also a couple of nice shops in Oneonta and one in Cobleskill. It's been a while since I've been up that way so I'd call them too.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:25 AM
IQ2

We were in Ogunquit ME about 2 years ago and visited Knight's Quilt Shop just south of there. Here's a link. Their display of antique toy sewing machines was adorable and the shop was lovely. Worth a visit if you'll be nearby.

https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=18&q=K...03256&v=2&sV=1
Old 04-30-2017, 08:33 AM

I don't know your route. However, if you are traveling on I 90 thru Massachuttes, there are: Sturbridge: 2 small shops, between Sturbridge and Worcester on Rt 20 there are 3. Charlton Sewing Center in Charlton is in an old Church, Appletree in Auburn, also on Rt 20 and just up the road on Rt 12 is the $2.99 Fabric Store. This has all kinds of fabric all at 2.99. A good selection of quilting fabric. They don't carry full lines from manufactures but can usually find some good stuff. Their selection is fairly current from manufacturers.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:05 AM

IQ2 is right; Knights is a great shop right on US 1. Believe they are closed on Tuesdays. The southern coast of Maine has a great RV park right across from the ocean in York, ME. In May the coast starts coming alive a bit. Wonderful time to visit. Enough folks around to make it interesting without aggravating. Absolutely stop at the Marden's Stores. Almost all fabric just under $5.00 and batiks another $1.00 or so more. I always buy my wide backings there and think they are only $7.99 a yard. Not every Marden's store has a fabric department but most do. Sanford has a large selection but Scarborough's is organized much nicer and may have a slightly larger choice. If you go to Marden's, look for the trays of Whoopie Pies near the cash registers. So good and freeze well.

If you get up to Freeport Me, to go to LLBean, there is a little quilt shop called Cotton Weeds. Small, not a huge selection of fabric but wonderful, unique quilting and needle work patterns. Also, very welcoming and helpful.

Husband and I get to the southern ME coast twice a year. Will be going the week after Mother's day probably. If you need any suggestions for other shopping, restaurants, attractions, just PM me.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:12 AM

Moose - the Maine wildlife park is pretty amazing. I paid to do the photographer package, and got to go into many of the pens. The close-ups with the birds were amazing, and the "behind the scenes" near the Moose pen really got me to understand them better.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:44 AM

If you want to see moose in Maine, you need to go inland rather than the coast. Moose in the mountains, lobsta on the coast.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
I don't know your route. However, if you are traveling on I 90 thru Massachuttes, there are: Sturbridge: 2 small shops, between Sturbridge and Worcester on Rt 20 there are 3. Charlton Sewing Center in Charlton is in an old Church, Appletree in Auburn, also on Rt 20 and just up the road on Rt 12 is the $2.99 Fabric Store. This has all kinds of fabric all at 2.99. A good selection of quilting fabric. They don't carry full lines from manufactures but can usually find some good stuff. Their selection is fairly current from manufacturers.
Dear Quilt30 I am in Norwell, south of Boston. What town is the $2.99 Fabric Shop in?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

I was a small child when I was in Maine but remember the scenery well near the coast.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:30 AM

Like IrishNY, I'd recommend the Fieldstone House - it has more fabric, much from years ago, than you can imagine. It's only 5 minutes off Rte.88, between Binghamton and Oneonta. Depending on where you live in PA, it's probably easy to get to. You'd go up I81 to pick up I88. The owners know their stock and have magnificent quantities of batiks. Prepare to spend time here (have a snack ready for your husband, or he can take a fine walk up the hill) because there is fabric everywhere here.