Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Travelling rulers

Blog Entries

Travelling rulers

How do other people take rulers of different sizes and shapes safely to work classes and get the all back home. I mean label them.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Sharpie marker?
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Banned
    I use the file folder sticky dots with my initials written on them,put the dot in the corner, so I can easily spot all of my tools at workshops. Other ladies use drops of nail polish on the topside of the ruler.

I use fingernail polish and put my initials on most of my stuff, not just rulers.

Blog Entries
    I have duplicates of all my most used rulers. I keep those in a rigid sided tote so all I have to do is pick it up and go. I trim down an address label to nothing but my name and put that over the brand logo on the ruler. I will share if asked to borrow a ruler in class but I don't offer. Too many don't buy the recommended tools for class thinking they will use others. I've lost too many tools by sharing in classes/workshops. Quilters should buy the tools they will need even if they only plan to use it once or don't take the class. I understand forgetting to bring a tool, that happens to all of us.
    Got fabric?

I put initials with fine tip Dremel or Sharpie on everything except fabric to eliminate any embarrassing situations.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Clear self adhesive address labels
    A dot of my 'personal' fingernail polish.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    ... I trim down an address label to nothing but my name and put that over the brand logo on the ruler.
    I do the same thing but also keep my address on. That way I can be contacted if I leave something behind. I also put one on my foot pedal and rotary cutter handle (and I have a dangly charm on the cutter too)

piney

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I use a sharpie with my last name on ALL of my rulers that leave my house. Some of them have my last name from my previous marriage on them even. Not much to do about that. And that was 18 years ago. Boy, I've had some of these rulers a long time, haven't I?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Power Poster
    Nothing leaves the house without my name on it in some form. My rulers get a small label on the ruler brand spot. Shapes that are harder, I use a sharpie to write my name on masking tape and then I wrap it on cords, foot pedal, scissors, rotary cutter, etc. As others have said it saves embarrassment when someone tries to misappropriate your tools.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast