Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble seeing stencil mark on dark fabric - what to use? >

Trouble seeing stencil mark on dark fabric - what to use?

Trouble seeing stencil mark on dark fabric - what to use?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:02 PM

Default Trouble seeing stencil mark on dark fabric - what to use?

I can't seem to find anything that will show up on dark fabrics with small prints. I've heard that some water soluable pencils don't always come out so have been hesitant to purchase any. Is there a good product out there that will do what I need?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM

I have a mechanical pencil with white lead so it shows up nicely. I get the replacement lead at the quilt shop.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 PM

I have the ceramic lead pencil with several colors of lead (Fons & Porter and Sewline refills). I also have the chalk pencils with all colors. The chalk makes a little thicker line, but I use it a lot because it takes less pressure on the fabric.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 PM

A thin sliver of hand soap, you know when you think there just isn't enough left to use to wash. easy to use, use finger nail file to keep it sharp, washes out easy. Stay away from the soaps with oils, or strong scents in them. Quilters have used this for generations, it is old fashioned but it works great.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

for fine lines I use the ceramic pencils that have a variety of lead colors--white, green, pink, yellow---they work great-nice clear smooth fine lines- when a heavier line is needed I use my chalk pencils. I've also used regular colored pencils on occasion. I've not had problems with removal (the ceramic leads are so fine often the thread covers the line anyway) but I do always test what ever i'm going to use before using it. the ceramic erases with a fabric eraser- or the one on the end of the pencil and it washes away- the chalk brushes away- or I use a damp washcloth to wash it away if I need to remove the marks before the quilt is laundered. I've not had any problems with marks still being there after my quilts are laundered- I wash and dry every quilt as soon as the binding is done.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 AM

I use the Berol silver or white marking pencil, the silver one works great on black and washes out. I have never had any problems with it.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429863[/ATTACH]I watch a youtube video on marking your quilts. She mentioned one method but you do need to wash your quilt when finished I believe. She use ordinary white chalkboard chalk that she sharpened with a make-up pencil sharpener and said to erase it with a micro fiber cloth. I tried it and it makes a great line but the micro fiber cloth did not take it off. I tried a toothbrush and it works better but I still think you would want to wash the quilt to remove the faint lines. I am going to try it on my next quilt.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-13-2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 AM

Thanks for asking the ? I to have been looking for something that I can mark dark fabric with. i have try so many things and have not found the right one for me. I have try for color penicls have not been happy with them, try dress maker chalk it would not make a mark dose it get to old or dry out? I'm likeing the chalkboard chalk idea will be gaving that a try. thinking make the 60 mile drive to joAnn and use my coupon on the a ceramic or mechanical pencil or both or maybe will talk myself out of goning until I try the chalkboard chalk.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:16 AM

I work with black a lot and have found soap slivers work the best for me.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:26 AM

I haven't done this technique yet, but I have read here on the blog that ladies are also using children's washable markers, maybe try one of those? Glad you ask this, because I didn't know about the slivers of soap. Got to put that info into the "bank".