Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble w/ Bernina 830. Help please! >

Trouble w/ Bernina 830. Help please!

Trouble w/ Bernina 830. Help please!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 PM

Default Trouble w/ Bernina 830. Help please!

I have a Bernina 830 and when I use the embroidery module, it keeps showing I have a problem with the bobbin. Actually, the bobbin is fine as is the embroidery work. No thread buildup. I push the button and resume stitching until the next time. It happened about 40-50 times in a 4x4 embroidery piece. It is so frustrating. I have had the Bernina 830 for almost 5 years and the first year or so, I had constant thread breakage. I must have taken it into the dealer 10 times. Finally, they changed the hook and that resolved, for the most part, the thread breakage but this problem with the bobbin has never been resolved. It happens sometimes when quilting but not often. I clean the bobbin area frequently so it is not that. Any help would be appreciated. I am taking it soon to my dealer. Cost for servicing is $175! I keep wondering if it should be sent back to Bernina for their servicing. I did not use the machine much in the past as it was so frustrating but now I am retired and sewing and quilting a lot. I would like to use the embroidery part of the machine as I have a lot invested in it to have it just sit. Please offer any suggestions. I would really appreciate it!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 PM

I should send a message to bernina with a list of all the times it has gone in for repairs and try to add up how much you have spent on them. Don't send in again until they reply.
Sounds like a Friday machine with many faults which they would not like other to hear about. My bernina and my friends are all fantastic.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

​Sounds like a lemon. I would contact the company not the dealer.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:53 AM

I have a 200e Bernina that did the same thing. Several trips back to the dealer. Several circuit boards - problems. I finally gave up and went with an 830. I made the mistake of not contacting Bernina directly, always went through the dealer. I would highly recommend contacting Bernina directly. At least you'd have peace of mind that someone other than the deal might address the problems. By the way, I recently heard that Bernina's don't usually like variegated thread and you might have a high incident of thread breakage. The correct needle made a huge difference, too. I was changing needles, but putting the same type in.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 AM

I have an 820 and was having problems with the bobbin. It kept showing a problem. I switched to a different bobbin, one where the silver marks were newer. My machine didn't like the more rubbed off marks. Could it possibly be that? (I'm sure you've probably tried that, but just thought I'd mention it)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I had problem with another Bernina model and went directly to Bernina of America. They were able to resolve the problem quickly. Good Luck !!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:12 PM

Try a new bobbin. The machine reads those little silver marks and if they are worn in places it causes the problem you are having. Found that out with my 820.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandyfullmer View Post
Try a new bobbin. The machine reads those little silver marks and if they are worn in places it causes the problem you are having. Found that out with my 820.
Agree ... if it wears out ... you need to replace the bobbins.
There is nothing wrong with your machine ... in fact, it is your machine (and the sensors) doing the job they are meant to do.

About the variegated thread comment .... I've run miles of it thru my 820, with no problems.

I don't think you could categorize a machine as not liking variegated threads ... whereas less success with a specific type/brand (variegated or plain) might be more realistic.

Last edited by QuiltE; 04-01-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 PM

Be sure you are using the correct bobbin thread and the correct top thread. My 830 is very particular about the thread I use. If I feed him correctly he works just fine. It was interesting to hear about the silver marks and bobbin issues. I will file that information away! Thanks for that hint!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM

You can go into your service panel and turn off the thread sensor. If it's going off that much, and the stitching is looking alright, why not?