Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: troubles with tube quilting

My camera isn't working so I can't show you but I am having a hard time keeping points on my tube blocks, some work, some don't!?? Is this just sloppy cutting, or what am I doing wrong? I have made a Xmas table runner & a couple of place mats but I would like to figure this out before I start on a quilt. Any hints, ideas, etc of what I could be doing wrong?

Are you pressing your seams in opposite directions so when you put 2 pieces together the seams automatically "nestle" together? I try to press all of the same pieces in one direction and the opposites in the other before I start to put them together and this really seems to help my points.
    Cathy

I did that but everything seemed really bulky so I even tried pressing all seams open on the last one. At the rate I am going I am going to have a LOT of orphan blocks!

Blog Entries
    When you cut them out, put your ruler on the seam line, not at the bottom edge of the fabric :wink: Someone else posted this correction a while ago to keep your points intact.

Yes, I saw that & that's the one thing I thought I was doing really well.

Blog Entries
    When you are placing your blocks together to sew, look at where the seam line is "going to be" Can you see on one of the sides a little triangle of seam lines? That is the side you want facing up. Your new seam line needs to intersect that triangle. If you are a tad past that triangle, you will lose your point.

Blog Entries
    Measure all of your blocks, measure your seams, are they all the same?

if they seem too lumpy to you, try pressing with the seams open instead of to one side. a now-acceptable method.

I did press the seams open and it is less bulky & Amma, I measured my blocks before putting them together and it seems that some are different, up to 1/16 or 1/8 on some. So, just gotta get my cutting better, you think??? (I'm not really good at that part, some co-ordination problems due to a health condition, or at least that's my excuse)!

Blog Entries
    We all have trouble with our cutting and sewing :wink: It just takes some practice and if you sew them so ALL of the points are cut off...who is going to know the difference? They will all look the same :D :D :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast