Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
troubles with tube quilting >

troubles with tube quilting

troubles with tube quilting

Old 12-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
We could have some fun times! :wink:
You really don't need a special ruler Gail.. just as long as you have a ruler that is marked with a 45 degree line. there is a Tutorial on the Missouri Star Quilt Company site where they show that, so I tried it and it works great!!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy
Originally Posted by GailG
We could have some fun times! :wink:
You really don't need a special ruler Gail.. just as long as you have a ruler that is marked with a 45 degree line. there is a Tutorial on the Missouri Star Quilt Company site where they show that, so I tried it and it works great!!
Thanks Tippy. I've got strips just waiting to be put together. I "found" those when I was rearranging fabrics in the sewing room. I had cut way too many strips for a spiraling project. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Most important too, is that 1/4" seam! And when you said they are all off a little ... that all adds up at the end a smidge here and there soon take away or add to your finished work. Practice practice makes a perfect quilter.... I've been doing piece work for 30 years and I still make mistakes!

Good accuracy, in cutting & sewing along with proper pressing (not ironing) is what it's all about~
Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 AM

Yes, that 1/4 inch seam is so tricky. I am still a bit out on that so I just cut my wider strip the same as the total of the 2 1/2 inch, seems to be working a bit better. It is slowly coming together, a few not so pointy but then again, better than the first few I did. Thanks all, for the suggestions, eventually I will get it done (I can't seem to whip a quilt out in no time at all, yet)and show pictures.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:09 PM

I saw a really neat video on youtube about this and she says you can use any ruler as long as it has the 45 degree line on it. you can check this out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWSp0mTTqE in case I am wrong. I can't wait to try tube quilting-I just wish I had more hours in the day!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Yup, I am just using the 45? degree line on my little 6 1/2 inch ruler and it works great.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Sometimes the more you handle the squares. the more they stretch. try starching your fabrics and then cut... and do not over iron them... another is really watch your 1/4" seam on mine I had to adjust a little...
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM

I just thought of another step that has helped me over the years, when you sew across that point.. sew with that side up so you can see to stitching, right (like one or two threads) above where the two stitched lines cross. Hope this helps you, it sure did me. And what ever you do make it consistent it should come out just right!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:29 PM

If you sew strips 2 1/2 together. After pressing the third strip should measure 4 1/2 to sew with the two strips sewed together. The video said 4 1/4 but she has corrected it. maybe that is your problem.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:14 PM

I had the same problem with my first one (I actually threw it away, oh my!). After I cut my blocks, I squared them up to the same exact size, this helped me alot.