Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
that troublesome 1/4" seam >

that troublesome 1/4" seam

that troublesome 1/4" seam

Old 08-19-2015, 08:02 AM

Default that troublesome 1/4" seam

I was cleaning out the bobbin area of my machine and am reminded of something that may help those with the problem with an accurate 1/4" seam allowance. Try using a single hole template instead of the one with the wider slit. It seems to hold the fabric in place better. Trouble is, you also have to remember to change it when you aren't straight stitching!! Gives one opportunity to replace the needle if you forget.

Too, when cleaning out the bobbin area of your machine, remember to get between the feed dogs. Those fill up with lint pretty easily. To get down around the bobbin and underneath, use a qtip dampened with sewing machine oil. The lint will cling to it instead of staying in the case of the machine.

Edit: Perhaps I should call that a face plate? May have used the wrong word.) Maniacquilter2 apparently knew what I meant anyhow!

Last edited by illinois; 08-19-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Never thought that would make a difference with 1/4" seam. I forgot to change the plate once, OOPS!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 AM

I put a few decorative stickers on my single hole face plate so that I would notice it was in the machine.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I have been quilting since 1992 and I have yet to achieve the quarter inch seam.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

1/4" is pretty straightforward. Sew a seam and then measure it across. If it isn't 1/4" it isn't. Sew a narrower seam or wider seam to get the 1/4". Wonder tape is what I used when I started quilting to have 1/4" seams. I put it on the fabric edge. It dissolves in water or you can draw a 1/4" line on the fabric edge.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

The dimensions between the seams is a lot more important than the width of the seams.

If your finished unit/block/quilt is the size you are trying for - then it really does not matter how wide or narrow your seams are.

The problems/solutions start with the size of the cut pieces, then the thread used for sewing, and then the seam width.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The dimensions between the seams is a lot more important than the width of the seams.

If your finished unit/block/quilt is the size you are trying for - then it really does not matter how wide or narrow your seams are.

The problems/solutions start with the size of the cut pieces, then the thread used for sewing, and then the seam width.
Yes, agree with this. It really doesn't matter how much of the seam is on the right of the needle if the piece inside three strips measured and sewed is what it is supposed to be.

Here's recent discussion we had that further explains and has a tutorial.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...m-t267952.html
Old 08-20-2015, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I always measure with the sewn thread included in my 1/4 seam across.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Personally, I try to have a consistent quarter inch seam, give or take a little, and I use the 1/4" foot with the metal side, which keeps my seams consistent. I believe Mary Ellen Hopkins called that our "personal private measurement" or something like that. I do know that when making a quilt, use the same machine throughout. Many years ago, I was making a Storm at Sea quilt for our Holiday Fair raffle quilt. A friend offered to do one part of the block, and of course, our 1/4" seams were slightly different, so I had to make some adjustments when piecing the blocks, however, it was a small difference, the quilt was beautiful, a member of the church hand quilted it, and we made quite a bit of money from the raffle.

I've also used painter's tape or masking tape, stacked together so the fabric would not move so much, which improved my 1/4" seams.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:34 PM

Boston 1954. Take 3 or 4 strips cut 1 1/2 inches. Sew with a 1/4" seam. measure the inside strips. If they are 1" then you are accurate. Otherwise, adjust your needle. You should be able to easily have a 1/4" seam