Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tumbling blocks, cowering corner...

Blog Entries
    I have the ABC 3-D book and was fortunate enough to see a live demo from Marci Baker. It's so much easier than ones I've seen before. I haven't made it yet but it's on my list for this year.
    Joyce

Here is a link to an easy pattern "Not Your Grandmother's Tumbling Block". http://shop.online-quilting.com/shop...&category_id=1
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

LOL - I think I need new glasses! You said tumbling and I got it in my head that you wrote tumbler! Oh well, ignore my previous posts!

I loved making a traditional tumbling block quilt but am not sure I would encourage someone to make this as their first quilt - perhaps one the faux patterns that looks like tumbling blocks. Good luck!

Do you like to hand stitch? If you do then I'd go to http://www.paperpieces.com and get their tumbline block paper pieces and stitch away. It's very relaxing in the evening if you are just watching tv and want to keep your hands busy. I really like to keep a hand stitching piece going so I can pick it up while traveling or sitting. This pattern does not fit the quick project catagory doing either machine or hand piecing but it sure is worth the effort by whatever method you decide upon. Happy stitching - Linda

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    Take your time, cut precise and most importantly, sew precisely, stopping 1/4" from the edge to make the Y-seams.
    The way these women put the blocks together, there are no Y-seams. That's what makes them unique and easy.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
    I had bookmarked this site to try some day. Her completed quilt shown on the last page is beautiful.
    http://www.myquiltfabric.com/pdf/Tumbling_Blocks.pdf
    AWESOME!! I have been intriqued by this but was afraid it would be too complicated but NOW!! WOW!! Thanks LOL, no pattern to buy, just print and go.
    Last edited by AZ Jane; 12-27-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I would not have him do y seams for his first quilt. We need to get him "hooked" on quilting first. Just kidding, but seriously we don't want him to get discouraged before he just gets started. Sewplease's technique looks easy and no y seams. The finished quilt is very pretty, too. Have fun teaching and learning at the same time. Teaching my DGD is one of my greatest pleasures. Show us his progress.
    Sue

I think Kaye Woods tut is the easiest to do. They Y seams are not hard the way she shows it being done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
    Here is a link to an easy pattern "Not Your Grandmother's Tumbling Block". http://shop.online-quilting.com/shop...&category_id=1
    This "not your grandmother's tumbling block" is the easiest because it's strip pieced without any "Y" seams. I used this method for my second quilt with no problems.
    (here's the link to my quilt, if visuals are helpful):
    scrappy Tumbling Blocks
    Last edited by postal packin' mama; 12-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2