Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two Bow Tuck Purse Questions >

Two Bow Tuck Purse Questions

Two Bow Tuck Purse Questions

Old 11-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Default Two Bow Tuck Purse Questions

I finished my bow tuck purses (matching regular and mini). Can I wash them to get the markings off the pockets on the inside?

Also, I am thinking about making them out of suede. Is this possible? Is there anything I should know about working with this type of material? Could I use the suede for the lining? I have never worked with suede and I love the feel of it.

I am hooked. My in-laws came over for lunch today and my mil loves them after dh had to show them off.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Nicole
Old 11-24-2011, 05:12 PM

I used a suede fabric on the bottom of a couple of mine. I used a cloth when pressing from the wrong side and it worked ok. I don't think suede for the lining would be good because of the weight. I love making these as well. Post a pic of your purses.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:57 PM

I am sure you could use the suede...just use the precautions mentioned in the previous posts. Regarding washing...did you use the kind of marker where you could just sprinkly/spray some water on the bag to remove the markings? While I am sure you could wash...I would just hate to wash it before I even used it. Sometimes washing takes away some of the 'crispness'. I always just spritz my markings with water and they simply disappear.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 PM

I throw mine in the washer and dryer it comes out looking like new again, I do not know about suede I have used a fake suede and it washed ok and was fine, I did not use it for a purse though.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 AM

At Joann's they have some suede type fabric on rolls in the home decorator section. It is washable and lighter weight than genuine suede. I made a couple of purses from it and it is easy to work with. When it's on sale for 50% off, it's about $12.50/yd - approx 54-60" wide. It comes in many colors.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Hi, Everyone:

Thanks for all the help. I am going to try to post a picture of the two bow tucks I finished. It is a tiny picture. I did use a fabric marker that is suppose to disappear after a while. I will try to spritz it with water and see if that helps.

As for the suede material, I learned before I read your replies about ironing the suede with a cloth on top of it. Oh my, I messed up the pocket. Luckily, I have two extra pieces to use for another pocket.

I am currently working on the suede bow tuck and a different purse using the texture magic. Dh is sewing the grid lines on the main piece as we speak. He is trying to get his line stitching straight.

I will keep you updated on the suede purse.

Thanks.

Nicole
Attached Thumbnails purses.jpg  
Old 11-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Those are sooooo cute! Looks like you did a great job!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:54 AM

I think someone lost their way. How did we get from canvas at Lowe's to bow tuck purses?