Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh, border shrunk HELP

Blog Entries

Uh oh, border shrunk HELP

I am one of those that never wash fabric, so look at this mess. The blue border shrunk and pulled the whole quilt in. I was thinking the only way to fix would be to cut out the blue border and reattach the outside border to the purple inside border and do a kinda quilt as you go seam. Anyone have a better idea they care to share. This is a gift for a young man that works with me Thanks in advance. Sandra
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sandraa; 05-22-2012 at 03:02 PM.

WOW! i would remove the border- cut it to the correct size (if it can be pressed flat once it is removed from the quilt) then using sashing strips re-attach it straight. in the (quilt as you go) method.
    it is a beautiful quilt- i hope it works out-
    and it may have been the batting that shrunk---not the fabric- did you follow the laundering recommendations for the batting? Batik's really don't usually shrink like that- i would bet it was the batting- not the fabric.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I guess because I can't see the actual quilt, it looks like the outer border is the one that shrunk. I would think if it was the middle border the first border would also be puckered. And I have had batik shrink after washing; it was a no-name brand. If it's the outer border you could take it off and maybe add a four-patch at the corners to make it fit.
    Joyce

Wow, I've never seen that happen. The first thing I would do is to try to block the quilt to see if you can straighten it out. Then if you can quilt it more densely it might stay straight. I think the problem might be that the quilting is not dense enough for the batting???

that is really bad. did you quilt the middle border? I have never ever ever seen shrinking in a quilt that weird. good luck. wish that I had an answer for you.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

That is too bad about the border as the quilt is beautiful I just love your colors. Good luck and I hope you can salvage
    the quilt.
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

The quilt itself is lovely. I do hope some of the suggestions above will work for you~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Power Poster
    Wow - bet you couldn't get something to do that again if you tried.

I think it's one of the fabrics, too. If it was the batting, the whole thing should have been evenly puckered.

The colors are pretty -

Maybe you could remove the 'culprit' - repress the rest of the quilt - and applique a border in place of the offending piece?
    Last edited by bearisgray; 05-22-2012 at 04:37 PM.

I always wash my fabric first thing as I had that same problem years ago. Your quilt is so beautiful I hope you can fix it. I was lucky to have enough fabric to cut a new border.

I would do what you suggested -- remove the border that shrunk and then add another border as a QAYG. I have made a quilt, quilted it and decided I needed another border and added it as QAYG successfully before I put the binding on.

I would be sure and wash any new border fabric and batting before adding it since the new stuff needs to shrink up before you attache it.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast