Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh...got a problem...

I have machine lust. There I said it. I don't need a new machine. Really i don't. I have several older ones now that aren't being used to their potential. And I mean there's only 1 of me and I only have a limited amount of time to sew. So why am I looking at machines online and drooling over them? Why is a cheap Brother machine at WM making my heart flutter? My old White does a perfectly good job...she even does fmq if the user would get better at it! And she's a pretty green color too. Is there a thing as machine addiction like there is fabric addiction?

I think so and it affects us all differently. Some are addicted to vintage machines, others to something new and different. I have even been victim of this obsession. I still have my old JC Penney machine that hasn't seen the light of day in over a decade, since I got my Bernina. I wanted to keep it as a backup but I really shoud donate it to someone that truley needs a machine. Then I saw a treadle machine I just had to have. Still haven't gotten her up and running.

Consider yourself a collector. There are many on the board.

I think there must be!
    It hits me at the oddest times too...not when I'm actually sewing, just when I'm shopping or see a machine somewhere that's different from the ones I have.

Not me. I have a wonderful Pfaff expressins 2.0. Does everyting I need. The only thing I would like to do is trade her in for one that also does embroidery. Maybe someday.

I tend to agree. I have 2 machines. One is a small Janome Gem 760. It travels well, only 12 pounds, and does most of the sewing I might need except quilting. I usually put tops together when we're traveling and hand quilt them. Or I bring them home and quilt them on my Pfaff Creative Vision. It doesn't move around easily, at least for me, and has embroidery unit. I love it and would take it in the motorhome, but it's bigger than the table I have to put it on! I have no desire or reason to get any more. I'd rather spend my $ on fabric! But we're all different and if collecting machines is what someone enjoys, go for it!

Personally I think it must be something in our blood! I average about 3 years between machine purchases. For some reason, completely unknown to me, I can come up with some excuse to purchase a new machine of some type i.e. more powerful machine motor, more stitches, more features, etc. Since my sister is the same way, I honestly believe it is in our blood.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I used to have machine envy, seeing everyone's great machines here on the board. That is until I got my Viking Sapphire! I just love that thing! It run so great, hardly ever a problem, no snarling or breaking thread. My 20 year old singer is still here for a backup and I just got a Singer treadle. My life is complete.... :)

Blog Entries
    I see nothing wrong with it!!! Better than other addictions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie
    Consider yourself a collector. There are many on the board.
    I agree. Once you move beyond having 2, then you're a collector and you can have as many as your heart desires!! Go for it, you might discover a new gem.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast