Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneven - What do I do? >

Uneven - What do I do?

Uneven - What do I do?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:07 PM

Alright, so I'm working on piecing my first quilt - a rail fence. I made the individual pieces with pretty much no problem (three different stripes sewed together), but now that I'm trying to sew the rest of it together, I'm having a few parts that are uneven.

Take a look:
[IMG]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...100_1127_b.jpg[/IMG]

So I'm assuming that means that I didn't cut something straight? Anyway, I was just wondering what I should do about this? Should I trim that extra bit off or what?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Measure all of your blocks, are they all the same size?
If not, you can resew a seam here and there to fix them, or you can square them all up to the same size before sewing them together.

I prefer to square up/fixing the blocks rather than trying to square them up after they are being sewn together into bigger blocks or strips. If you wait til this point, you can end up losing part of the design element, points, etc...
Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

For a rail fence, I would just trim. It does mean something was off in your cutting, sewing or ironing.

If you have done everything correctly, every rail fence block will be square. My bet is that they are rectangular, and that's why you have this problem when you sew two together. Your best bet is to square your blocks before sewing them together.

Actually, if I look at the two blocks in the picture, it appears that your seam allowance is a little too small. That would make your blocks slightly rectangular rather than square. The block on the left has the length you cut; the block on the right has horizontal seams which do not take up enough of the cloth to match the original cut length of the left block.

To get even more particular, it looks as if the beginning/ending of your piecing seam is not exact. It looks as if just the edge of the right block is too big, which means your seam allowance is not uniform. Turn the block over and check the width of the seam allowance at both ends and the middle.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

I have had that happen. It's usually my seam allowance. Sigh. I'm still working on getting that exactly right.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 PM

I would measure the cut piece and check to see if your seams are 1/4 inch.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
For a rail fence, I would just trim. It does mean something was off in your cutting, sewing or ironing.

If you have done everything correctly, every rail fence block will be square. My bet is that they are rectangular, and that's why you have this problem when you sew two together. Your best bet is to square your blocks before sewing them together.

Actually, if I look at the two blocks in the picture, it appears that your seam allowance is a little too small. That would make your blocks slightly rectangular rather than square. The block on the left has the length you cut; the block on the right has horizontal seams which do not take up enough of the cloth to match the original cut length of the left block.

To get even more particular, it looks as if the beginning/ending of your piecing seam is not exact. It looks as if just the edge of the right block is too big, which means your seam allowance is not uniform. Turn the block over and check the width of the seam allowance at both ends and the middle.

I wouldn't be surprised if my seams were the problem. I'm super new at this and still trying to figure out where exactly 1/4'' is on my sewing machine.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM

I agree, with a rail fence design you can trim and square up all your blocks and it shouldn't be a problem. I would go back though and turn the pieces over and measure your seam allowances. You'll quickly see if this is the problem or not. If you aren't sure, simply sew two pieces of 2 1/2-inch fabric together and iron open. It should measure 4 inches across. If it doesn't, then you can see whether you are sewing too much or too little of a seam.

There are several things that could be the culprit in a block not coming out the right size.

What is the thickness of the thread you are using? Belive it or not, the thickness can end up making a huge difference in the size of the seam and not all threads are created equal. The thicker the thread, the more we have to take it into consideration when sewing.

Make sure the pieces are cut exactly each time. If you are off even a sliver, which is 1/16-inch, then in just 8 pieces you are almost a half inch off. This can make a huge difference across the length of a quilt. Often this is my problem area. I'll cut several pieces perfectly and then measure one out 1/4-inch extra. :roll: Really messes me up in spots.

Ironing can also be a huge issue when trying to get blocks to come out the right size. I'm sure you've heard the quilting commandment, "Thou Shalt Press, NOT Iron!" :lol: It's true you don't want to scrub your pieces out of shape, but by the same token you don't want to press too lightly. Don't be afraid to really press the block. I know it probably sounds a bit strange to hear that but it does make a huge difference if done wrong.

I hope some of those things help. I think it's wonderful that you haven't let this stop you from finishing your quilt. Good for you! I can't wait to see a picture of the finished top.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 PM

If the rest of the blocks are OK, then rather than take this block apart, I think I would split the difference by trimming only half the extra fabric from the left corner of the right block. Then when you sew the next blocks, you can just fudge the seam allowance there so that in that small spot it will be less than 1/4 inch. Maybe zig-zag that spot for reinforcement. Is that clear as mud?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM

Major thanks to both of you for the tips, advice and knowledge.

I've been cutting, measuring, and trying to fix this all morning. Not sure how I'm doing, and I'm afraid I won't know 'til it's all over. I've got what amounts to two full 'blocks' sewn together and they look MOSTLY straight. If you look close, you can tell where the bars connect that their off.

Have a look see:
[IMG]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...noio/seams.jpg[/IMG]

And here's from farther back:
[IMG]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...nnoio/oiii.jpg[/IMG]

So I guess I'm going to leave those blocks as they are - I know they're off, but it IS my first quilt and, well, hopefully I can't get away with it. >_< Now I'm off to try to straighten up the rest of my blocks.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Looking good!