Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it? >

Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it?

Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 PM

Default Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it?

I am in a bit of a dilema (sp?) Currently I am renting two storage units for all but my basic necessities and living in my unofficial son's family room.Needless to say, I am a bit pressed for space although the LQS and I are on a help each other out basis for sewing room etc. Anyway, today at my job I happened to mention to a coworker I have known for several years that I was going to spend my day off tomorrow quilting a quilt for my great nephew at the LQS. She then asked me if I would be interested in having her mother's stash including king size quilting frame after she goes through it. Limited space and not enough time...we all know how that goes and after she picks out a couple of unfinished tops for nephews and grandchildren who didn't get a finished quilt while her mom was living she wants to gift me with the lot. I told her yes and anything I can't utilize I know of various people and organizations that are always in need of donations to make quilts for fundraisers and the homeless or needy. I also offered to help with the quilting of the heirloom quilts as my coworker doesn't quilt other than tying. The dilema is--am I doing the right thing? Have no idea what I am getting other than sounds like a bit of everything. LOL Poor friend hasn't started to unearth it all yet, really think she is daunted by the sheer amount of space we can stash our stashes into in small spaces.How would you deal with the unexpected offer etc.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 AM

WOW (as my jaw drops to the floor). You didn't say why you are living at your son's or for how long, so it is a bit difficult to answer your question fairly without sounding judgemental. I will assume that your son has limited space as you are quilting at your LQS. But I have to ask...Are you ready and willing to rent another storage unit or two? Don't get me wrong, it is always great to get free stash, and a king size frame, but unless you are willing to rent more storage units, I don't know where you will put this stuff. Maybe a better solution would be to help your distressed co-worker go through everything and take it directly to your local guild or goodwill. Then there is the issue of finishing the quilts for her...you are being very generous in offering to do this for her. In the end, all I can say is," Good Luck with your dilema."
Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 AM

I say take it and sort it out and send it to all the places you know can use it. Keep what you have room for, there are lots of people that will thank you for the gifts and it will help your friend out as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 AM

I work at a fabric store. People are always coming in to figure out what to do will all that stuff. I act as a go
between. I get it all to my house,(DH id always thrilled) sort and pass it on. Do you have Freecycle where you live?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:43 AM

Doesn't everyone have freecycle? LOL Actually in my family there is usually someone who knows someone who knows someone...we are probably original free cyclers starting with those coming off the boat and the Iroquois people who took someone into the family LOL. I am planning to get my own place again come summer and depending on what is in this gift will have home space to store some of it. Just wondered how others handle similar situations. As for how I ended up on my unofficial son's couch --hours got cut at work and I was almost on the street. Joe and my blood son met in kindergarten and decided they wanted to be brothers there and then. Comes from being only children being raised basically by Moms.My job is here and my blood son lives in Bellevue where I have no job and the other unofficial son is in the army in Korea at the moment.

Originally Posted by HollyHope View Post
I work at a fabric store. People are always coming in to figure out what to do will all that stuff. I act as a go
between. I get it all to my house,(DH id always thrilled) sort and pass it on. Do you have Freecycle where you live?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 AM

Look at it this way. God has placed this stash in your hands for you to do something for him with it. He will also provide you the means to store or help find a home for what you cannot use right now.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 AM

I think that you should take advantage of the offer. The king size quilting frame usually breaks down into pieces, and you can sell that and perhaps share the money with your friend. My sister in law threw out into the garbage all her mother's fabric, and never asked me if I wanted it. She didn't think I wanted her mother's "old" stuff. Take a day to go through the rest of the larger, take what you can use, and then Pass on the plenty to friends and organizations. The universe is generous to those who are generous. Accept the gift graciously, take what you can use, and pass it on. Pay it forward.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 AM

I'm with those who say take advantage of the offer. You know how much you can store, and any surplus can be donated/gifted appropriately. You'll need to consider where you have to sort through things tho - could you go with your friend to the house and sort it there? Might help her be a bit less overwhelmed if she has help, tho of course need sensitivity to the fact that you would be in her mother's house so she may not be keen on this idea. Depends on the people and relationship involved I guess.

But I would say that you are doing the right thing, yes.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 AM

good luck and you have a sweet unofficial son.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie View Post
Look at it this way. God has placed this stash in your hands for you to do something for him with it. He will also provide you the means to store or help find a home for what you cannot use right now.
I agree with this. Trust that He has brought you to this, He will help you get through it.