Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unhappy Customer - Advice needed.. >

Unhappy Customer - Advice needed..

Unhappy Customer - Advice needed..

Old 02-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I would have turned the tables on her with her own words. I would have made a big deal about how little her sister charged I would have talked and praised the sister for all she was worth how she was able to do that and still make a profit. I would have said I'm certainly getting in touch with her and tell her you told me about her doing a queen size quilt for $50. I want to learn how she manages to do that. And I'll tell my customers that have a lot of quilts that need to be quilted she will do queen size for them for $50. The woman will probably stammer and backtrack about her sister. LOL When someone is rude or snotty I make a game of it and never let emotion take over.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

It is a difficult situation. You can give a person an estimate but always look at the quilt so that any adjustments can be made at that time. Her sister is probably giving her the family discounted rate. You need to establish a reputation of being honest and fair so I have to say your husband was right. Be professional and learn from your mistakes. I only had one client from hell in the 10 years I machine quilted for others. Hang in there.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM

I'm fairly new to quilting for others and I agree on a written estimate for both to sign, measure the quilt with her and get out your calculator and give her the number out loud, ALSO measure her backing while she's there. I know sometimes it's hard to hold our tongues. Try to take a deep breath and think about what you're about to say and hopefully use the correct tone to be professional but not let people talk down to you. good luck in the future
Old 02-09-2016, 03:14 PM

Put all the charges on paper with a total and have the customer sign. Include an acknowledgment that there will be additional charges for anything extra but you'll contact them for approval first.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:49 PM

All the previous posters make good points. And remember, there are some people who will complain no matter what, in an attempt to get a discount. I have a family member who's like this to the point that it's embarrassing to go shopping with her. (And also why none of her family get quilts - can never please them)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

You were right to stick to your quoted price. Now you know for the future that in addition to quoting a per s/i price to also tally it up for the whole quilt. Some people just don't realize those square inches add up. I am still wondering why she didn't take the quilt to her sister to do.

PS welcome to the board, I hope you stick around and share pictures and fun!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:23 PM

Thanks everyone. I feel better. Need to keep a stoic face with some customers. The contract thing is definitely something to think about. I think I'll check with the other long-armers in the guild to see what they do. I plan to tell the person that recommend me to this customer that I feel bad... but... and hope she understands. (And I think she will.) I'm attaching (or attempting to) a picture of the quilt. I really don't mind quilting for the .01 rate - a lot of people around here can't afford much - but I'm also not a charity....so a few kinks left to work out. Anyway... thanks again. (Note the top isn't attached to the bar because too many gold accents on the bags made it impossible to roll up.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542332[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 12705412_1708737409398495_4432179129745136540_n.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 04:33 PM

Sometimes people make if difficulty for us not to "go down to their level". Sounds like she probably pushed your button one time too many during the conversation. Just take this as a learning experience and move forward being the bigger person in the future.

As others have suggested, give future customers a written estimate after you have seen the quilt. If quoting prices by phone, state your rate of $.01 and note specialty quilts are higher. Good luck with your new venture!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:50 PM

Aw Lora....your story takes me WAAAY back. Ten years ago I was a new longarmer and it seems the wolves come out of the woodwork trying to get something cheap. I had a woman with whom we discussed every aspect of her KING sized quilt and I was so very careful. It was lovely (I thought) and you can't even imagine my horror when she proceeded to pick it to pieces and complain. One of her biggest complaintsbwasnthat when I stabilized the edges I took too big a seam. It was 1/4" but I soon realized what all the complaining was about...yep...$$$! She bad-mouthed my work to our entire quilt guild and for a new longarmer that can be devastating and difficult to recover from. She wanted a full refund! I did refund half her money because even though she SAID she was unhappy with it, I still did do the work. It was a Batik quilt with piecing front AND back.

Later on several women in my guild informed me that I was not the first quilter she did this to...and it gets better....

I moved away from the area a year later and I was told that this woman was showing the very same quilt in a quilt show and won a ribbon!!!!

So so you see, dear heart, there is always someone jockeying to get a freebie. By the way, you aren't charging enough, in my opinion. Charge at least 1.5 cents a square inch and when you get comfortable, in six months or so, bump that up to .02 cents. People place more value on your work if you charge a proper price for it. Longarm quilting is hard work and you should be paid accordingly.

Welcome to the world of longarm quilting!

PS: Never let a customer leave your home without a WRITTEN INVOICE with the full price they are expected to pay when they pick it up.

Last edited by Michellesews; 02-09-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:55 PM

$85 sounds like she got a great deal. I agree with the others that she could have just taken to her sister... and a price you get from your sister is probably going to be cheaper anyway