Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unhappy Customer - Advice needed.. >

Unhappy Customer - Advice needed..

Unhappy Customer - Advice needed..

Old 02-09-2016, 05:14 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

GET IT IN WRITING. Every time. Every detail. Everybody signs. That way all you have to do for disputes is point.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:18 PM

*** You were up front with her and if she did not figure the price it is her problem.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:02 PM

I'm for the written and signed estimate. Can't go wrong in writing on both side. Kind of like good fences make good neighbors! Don't give up. There is always one in the crowd.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 PM

Frankly If someone had brought me that Crown Royal mess, I might have handed it back to them! And if I had done it, it would have been for more than $85. I think she got an excellent deal. Never do anything for her again.
I used to do customer quilts and I always gave them a written estimate based on size, quilting etc and always gave it to them to review and sign. I also updated the price each year... as my skills grew.. and I also checked local prices. I had a pricing sheet I gave them when they first asked, then I gave them a price based on whatever they chose off the sheet (binding, piecing, repairs, etc, in addition to the actual quilting... per Sq Inch depending on difficulty, density, etc)
But I discovered I was not getting any of my own quilts done (plus working full time) , so I don't do customer quilts anymore...
Old 02-09-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think you were right in sticking to your price. However, in the future you might consider giving a written estimate in advance so that the customer sees the full price up front. You also have the right to refuse a quilt after you see it, if it involves more work than you are prepared to do for that price. I imagine her sister had already refused to quilt this for her.
so true! her sister probably said no way!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

You can avoid this problem in the future by developing a written contract that does the calculations for the client so there is a total cost at the bottom. Not everyone is good at math, especially where inches and cents are involved! The written contract can have a space for quilt top size (both in inches and in total square inches), cost per square inch, and then calculated price. Include a blank space for price if side leaders need to be added (and put that $15 in there so they know that's what will be added if side leaders are needed).

I attended a Jamie Wallen workshop. He said that the first thing he does with every quilt that comes in is this: he folds the top into quarters, folds the backing into quarters, then places the top on the backing. This is a quick way to tell immediately if the back is going to need side leaders (and also can tell you immediately if the top is wonky and will need extra loving care on the frame).
Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Does anyone have a price sheet already made up that they would like to share? I have been quilting for many years but for myself, my sister and charities that I support. Quilts of Valor, Christ Child Society, Aid for adoption for special needs kids, Hope Cottage. I have had several requests for quilting of other peoples personal quilts (not for charity). And certainly NOT for any show! haha, I was thinking that I didn't want to do this as a business and have to report for taxes. But I was thinking of asking them to provide the thread color of their choice but specify the brand, and give me a gift card to the LQS or Joannes for the batting ( I only use warm and natural off the roll) but no money changing hands other than that with a donation to one of the charities I quilt for (their choice). What do you think?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

you were right. if her sister charged less, she should have went to her. she's a poor looser. don't let her sour disposition bother you.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:07 PM

Definitely need the estimate in writing and her to ok it--I find that awkward to do too when it's someone from my guild, but still force myself to do that as I've been burned--my first customer brought me a large crib quilt that had thickly painted animals in each block--and had told me via phone that she just wanted a meander. No way that quilt was suitable for meandering--the needle would have not gone through the paint or looked well. So I custom quilted and also did the "receiving blankets" she asked me to do too--gave me two pieces of fabric and asked that I just fold each over and quilt so she could bind for a receiving blanket! Then when she wanted a queen size quilt done and texted me about it, I quoted 1 1/2 cents/sq in if an edge to edge, 2 for custom and gave her the total for each and she said too expensive! This is well within the prices in my area and I decided then not to be chiseled down on price and have stuck to it since--does it mean I lose a customer or two--yes, cause there is at least one long arm quilter in my area that way under prices her work, but I figure I just refuse to stand for hours on end for less than $10/hour!

For a price list, check for the averages in your area, they seem to vary with the region you live in. And be sure to list those services like you did with having to add clamp on strips, etc. Don't underestimate your prices just because you are new at customer quilts, instead give a discount for first time customers, etc--always easier to give a discount than up prices later (unless the prices are increased area wide). good luck--I love to long arm and would like to make more $$ at it,but we have a number of long arm quilters in the area and each has their area that is a strength--or at least perceived strength-so I get those quilts that owners want done "modern". I also think that the availability of mid-arm and sit-down machines will mean more and more piecers doing their own quilting except for large quilts.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I would have turned the tables on her with her own words. I would have made a big deal about how little her sister charged I would have talked and praised the sister for all she was worth how she was able to do that and still make a profit. I would have said I'm certainly getting in touch with her and tell her you told me about her doing a queen size quilt for $50. I want to learn how she manages to do that. And I'll tell my customers that have a lot of quilts that need to be quilted she will do queen size for them for $50. The woman will probably stammer and backtrack about her sister. LOL When someone is rude or snotty I make a game of it and never let emotion take over.
I <3 you!!! This made me snort.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who game the system. I ran into it just the other day - a longarm quilter in my town referred a customer to me who wanted someone to hand-sew binding onto her quilt. I quoted my rates to the customer, and since the longarmer had given me the quilt's dimensions, I also quoted her the total cost. Well, she didn't say anything about my rates, but when she heard what the final bill would be, she flipped. I think a lot of people don't bother to do the math, so you need to do it for them before you start the job. This particular customer at first laughed out loud at my quote, then tried a bit of wheedling and cajoling and whining, but I stayed firm and suggested she look elsewhere. My husband thinks she'll be back. It wouldn't be the first time!

There is professional quilting software out there that will help you set up quotes. When my longarmer takes in quilts, she stops what she's doing and measures everything front of the customer. If the backing isn't large enough, it's dealt with right then and there. She discusses batting choices. She discusses quilting pattern choices. She discusses thread, and how many bobbins she'll use, and the customer is charged for it. She puts everything into her software - size, quilt pattern, what kind of thread, how much thread, what kind of batting, EVERYTHING. She prints it out and gives it to the customer. It has the total cost, plus an estimated completion date. There is no way the customer can walk out of the store without knowing exactly what she's getting and how much she's paying, and any potential issues with the top are taken care of.

When I take on binding jobs, many times it's over the phone or through my longarmer. I always get a phone number AND email address. When I take possession of the quilt I am to bind, I measure it, write up a quote, and email it to the customer. They must send me an email back with the reply that they understand and approve the quote. That way there is a paper trail (of sorts) and everyone is protected in case of a dispute.