Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on school glue basting

Blog Entries
    So yesterday on my way home from a doctor appt. I decided to stop in a "new-for-me" quilt shop I had been in once before to get a piece of fabric I couldn't find anywhere else. While browsing her notions wall I spied "ROXANNE" Glue-Baste-It. Of course it was pricey, but had 2 needle tips with it and little plastic things to clean the needle tips. So I bought some and just tried it out. How awesome! No ironing it down after application. It did a wonderful job. Now when I run out of it I can use the Elmers. I'm sure the bottle will last forever because you use so little.

if you don't iron it, does it stick imediately? it is washable, right? I got 3 tips and 2 empty bottles for $4 at Hobby Lobby. I use more glue than a kindergarten class! :shock:

Blog Entries
    Roxanne's basting glue is a great product. It holds fabric together almost instantly. Elmer's takes a touch with the iron. I think Elmer's has more water in it. I have lots of Elmer's school glue so I was thinking I could put some in a bowl and microwave it to get some of the water to evaporate. Won't hurt to try if I run out of Roxanne's. I have to order the Roxanne's Basting Glue. I keep Roxanne's next to my sewing machine and Elmer's on my ironing board.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    if you don't iron it, does it stick imediately? it is washable, right? I got 3 tips and 2 empty bottles for $4 at Hobby Lobby. I use more glue than a kindergarten class! :shock:
    It sticks immediately and it comes out in tiny drops as you move the applicator. I used it on a QFK and it was beyond fantastic. I think it is well worth the money I spent; I'm a believer. I must have done that binding in half the time it usually takes me.

I have used glue on several of the quilts I've completed. I always heat set it and it comes out in the wash. Not had a problem with it yet!. Makes me look more skilled than I feel I am. =) I bought some tiny tiny steel tips at Wal Mart or Hobby Lobby can't remember which..in the acrylic paint dept.

I love Roxanne's. Glad they have something to clean the tube now, though. Make sure that you do it. The tube can get badly clogged.

Thanks for this tip! Sounds great for matching seams, etc.

Blog Entries
    I saved the printer ink refill squeeze bottles. They were easy to clean the ink out. They have the long very thin metal tips that are perfect for glue basting. Only a tiny drop of glues comes out at a time. I fill with Elmer's School Glue. Also I found a big bottle of Aleene's Fabric Basting Glue on clearance at Hobby Lobby and it works great too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I saved the printer ink refill squeeze bottles. They were easy to clean the ink out. They have the long very thin metal tips that are perfect for glue basting. Only a tiny drop of glues comes out at a time. I fill with Elmer's School Glue. Also I found a big bottle of Aleene's Fabric Basting Glue on clearance at Hobby Lobby and it works great too.

This is a GREAT idea. I am going to give this a try

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I do too... I buy several bottles at a time LOL
    I found that the 2 bottles for $1 from the Dollar Tree work just as well as Elmers does :D:D:D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast