Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Update on school glue basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-school-glue-basting-t70448.html)

grann of 6 10-16-2010 07:08 AM

So yesterday on my way home from a doctor appt. I decided to stop in a "new-for-me" quilt shop I had been in once before to get a piece of fabric I couldn't find anywhere else. While browsing her notions wall I spied "ROXANNE" Glue-Baste-It. Of course it was pricey, but had 2 needle tips with it and little plastic things to clean the needle tips. So I bought some and just tried it out. How awesome! No ironing it down after application. It did a wonderful job. Now when I run out of it I can use the Elmers. I'm sure the bottle will last forever because you use so little.

kathy 10-16-2010 07:12 AM

if you don't iron it, does it stick imediately? it is washable, right? I got 3 tips and 2 empty bottles for $4 at Hobby Lobby. I use more glue than a kindergarten class! :shock:

BellaBoo 10-16-2010 07:18 AM

Roxanne's basting glue is a great product. It holds fabric together almost instantly. Elmer's takes a touch with the iron. I think Elmer's has more water in it. I have lots of Elmer's school glue so I was thinking I could put some in a bowl and microwave it to get some of the water to evaporate. Won't hurt to try if I run out of Roxanne's. I have to order the Roxanne's Basting Glue. I keep Roxanne's next to my sewing machine and Elmer's on my ironing board.

grann of 6 10-16-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
if you don't iron it, does it stick imediately? it is washable, right? I got 3 tips and 2 empty bottles for $4 at Hobby Lobby. I use more glue than a kindergarten class! :shock:

It sticks immediately and it comes out in tiny drops as you move the applicator. I used it on a QFK and it was beyond fantastic. I think it is well worth the money I spent; I'm a believer. I must have done that binding in half the time it usually takes me.

RkayD 10-16-2010 07:43 AM

I have used glue on several of the quilts I've completed. I always heat set it and it comes out in the wash. Not had a problem with it yet!. Makes me look more skilled than I feel I am. =) I bought some tiny tiny steel tips at Wal Mart or Hobby Lobby can't remember which..in the acrylic paint dept.

lots2do 10-16-2010 07:44 AM

I love Roxanne's. Glad they have something to clean the tube now, though. Make sure that you do it. The tube can get badly clogged.

merrylouw 10-16-2010 07:51 AM

Thanks for this tip! Sounds great for matching seams, etc.

BellaBoo 10-16-2010 07:53 AM

I saved the printer ink refill squeeze bottles. They were easy to clean the ink out. They have the long very thin metal tips that are perfect for glue basting. Only a tiny drop of glues comes out at a time. I fill with Elmer's School Glue. Also I found a big bottle of Aleene's Fabric Basting Glue on clearance at Hobby Lobby and it works great too.

JCquilts 10-16-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I saved the printer ink refill squeeze bottles. They were easy to clean the ink out. They have the long very thin metal tips that are perfect for glue basting. Only a tiny drop of glues comes out at a time. I fill with Elmer's School Glue. Also I found a big bottle of Aleene's Fabric Basting Glue on clearance at Hobby Lobby and it works great too.

This is a GREAT idea. I am going to give this a try

amma 10-16-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by kathy

I do too... I buy several bottles at a time LOL
I found that the 2 bottles for $1 from the Dollar Tree work just as well as Elmers does :D:D:D