Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Upsidedown block - how to extract? Help please >

Upsidedown block - how to extract? Help please

Upsidedown block - how to extract? Help please

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 AM

I have a block unstitched and ready to put back in. My problem was that I put the wrong side out, so just need to be careful to put it in correctly this time. :lol:
Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 AM

I have also taken out just one block. Not so long ago I posted a picture of a completed top and someone pointed out that one of the 1/2 sq blocks was turned the wrong way. I was so glad she pointed it out and it really wasn't too hard to take out and replace turned the right way. You just have to be very careful of stretching and in your resewing.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:20 AM

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement - and sympathy for the pattern-challenged LOL.

I like the idea of one little mistake hiding in a quilt - I would never have to do it on purpose. But this quilt center is one of those big-print things with only 13 blocks plus the setting triangles.

I knew I should have gone to the office and gotten a bunch of those arrow 'sign here' stickies but I was soooo sure I could do an on-point quilt without getting up and down mixed up.

I will take a deep calming breath, and slooowwwwlllly and carefully pull out the stitches without gouging the fabric, re-press, heavily starch the surrounding triangles, pin and sew. Right side out, right side up, I hope.

Wierdly, once there is a mistake, it sometimes seems to become the source of another mistake, doesn't it?

Thanks again all :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 AM

:thumbup:
It's a specialized field of surgery, but block replacement is definitely possible, and almost always successful.
Work slowly, keep your focus, and the patient will have a complete recovery. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote]

Ditto!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 AM

Totally agree. I've had to do this before!

Originally Posted by katier825
Yes, it can be done. Just rip out a couple of inches beyond the block at each seam, put it the right way and resew it back into the row, then resew the rows together. I would pin it carefully and be careful not to stretch where it's on point.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 AM

it is possible.. I've done it TWIC.. on the SAME BLOCK... just ck ur work constantly.. I redid the same block twice after taking it out and putting it right back in the same way it came out.. FRUSTRATION!!! still better than ripping out the entire row!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 AM

Unfortunately I've had to do the same thing myself. You can extract that single block, reposition, and re-sew. I would suggest that you extend your ripped seams a little further than just the immediate block just to give yourself some wiggle room. I had one quilt that was sandwiched and partially quilted when I noticed one star block had points facing the wrong way! What a pain but was able to fix while everything was still together and continue on my merry way.