Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To use batt or not?

I need to make a baby quilt for a friend. I suggested a rag quilt but she doesn't want that as it will be used on the ground outside and stuff could get caught in the fringe. She likes the Yellow Brick Road pattern and wants a lot of denim fabric in it. I think a good cotton instead of flannels for the rest of the fabrics as they don't stretch and shrink as much, and they have so much greater selection of prints. Also, I'm thinking Warm & Natural for the batt, but I don't want it to get too heavy with all the denim fabric. What are your thoughts please?

I personally wouldn't use a batting if the quilt has denim in it. If you pair denim with a similar weight for the other blocks it will be heavy enough. I would just back it with a heavy cotton or broadcloth and machine quilt. Especially if it is going to be used outside alot. Just my thoughts! :D

I still use a really light weight batting in this type of quilt. I just don't think it feels like a quilt without the batting.

I don't think you will need batting.

I think it would be to heavy with batting.

Ive used flannel as a batting, makes it just warm enough without the thick feeling....

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalKicks
    Ive used flannel as a batting, makes it just warm enough without the thick feeling....
    :thumbup:

Since it is going to be a picnic quilt and not something to snuggle under, I wouldn't bother with a batting.

I am with one of the other ladies here I have used flannel for batting but you do have to pre wash or it will shrink unless you want that look. If you are makeing a rag quilt out of flannel you do not pre wash the flannel... in fact it is better if you don't.
    I use flannel for a thin bat for vets and light weight jackets I do not want real warm or bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnieF
    I am with one of the other ladies here I have used flannel for batting but you do have to pre wash or it will shrink unless you want that look. If you are makeing a rag quilt out of flannel you do not pre wash the flannel... in fact it is better if you don't.
    I use flannel for a thin bat for vets and light weight jackets I do not want real warm or bulk.
    I use Warm & Natural when I only want a thin batting that isn't very warm. I know, I know, it's Warm & Natural, but it isn't very warm. I used to use it all the time in quilts I made when living in the Mojave Desert & it makes the perfect summer weight quilt. Of course, when it's 120F or higher outside, there is no such thing as a summer weight quilt! :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast