Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Using cones of thread

Blog Entries
    I have a simple metal stand now, but with my older Janome I used a jar and taped a safety pin to the side of the machine to guide the thread. This worked great and simple.

I use the cones all the time. I just place a drinking straw from over the holder to make it taller. I do prefer the McDonalds straws as they are a little bigger.

I have a janome and I just put a plastic straw (cut the length I need) over the upright pin. Works great and is really cheap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
    I agree with maniacquilter2 - many big cones are made for sergers and are only two ply threads - not as strong as regular sewing thread and more linty.
    Actually, 2-thread poly threads are very strong - stronger than cotton. Thus, you may want to think about what they might do to your quilt over time. I used serger thread to piece quilts for many years UNTIL one of the quilts my family cuddled with for TV-watching began to tear at the pieced seams. The thread was cutting the fabric. The stitches were intact. Since then, I've become a cotton thread piecer, and my fav is Aurifil - the least linty I've found. I started with Connecting Threads, but it REALLY linted up my machine. Sorry CT fans. Aurifil has very little lint.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I use the Superior Threads heavy duty stand. You can actually get it cheaper at Connecting Threads - http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...d__D81905.HTML
    At last something cheaper in Australia! $3.99 for that at the local fabric chain Spotlight.
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric then sew it back together again? Really?"

I have the same problem, solved it by using a spool of thread ( by Coats/135 yds ) just fits inside the cone, push in tight then put on thread spindle. Works great. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I use the Superior Threads heavy duty stand. You can actually get it cheaper at Connecting Threads - http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...d__D81905.HTML
    Its even cheaper at this website: http://www.purplemoosedesigns.com/store.php?cat=32
    I use this one for quilting bee, its nicely made, has a heavy bottom plate. Its all metal.
    Sharon

I use a cone with my Janome 6600 on the regular spool. No problem.

You all have solved my problem. About a month ago I bought a cone spool of Aurifil, not realizing my Janome isn't set-up for a cone. Yesterday, because of all your suggestions, I taped the safety pin on back of machine and put thread in a cup - but the spool doesn't sit perfectly upright. Guess I will buy a canning jar, or try the straw idea. I am concerned, though, about winding a bobbin. Also do you need to use a smaller stitch length - I sew with the factory setting of 2.2. Thanks all.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast