Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Using cones of thread

Using cones of thread

Can you use cones of thread with a regular old sewing machine? If so is there a stand or something that you get to put the cone on?

My janome has a the upright and horizontal thread spoil but they are way too short to use a cone on. But for economical purposes if I can figure out how to use a cone of thread with my machine that would be awesome.

While I'm at it. Another question.

Using glue for basting. Do you just use it for binding or for full on basting a quilt sammich? I'm definitely going to try the glue stick for binding I need all the help I can get there. Lol.

LOL... I just stick my cone into a canning jar set next to my machine and it feeds out ok. I know there are special stands you can get but I haven't spent the money for one.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

I just stick the cone in a box or coffee cup, and run it through the first hole as if it were on the spool holder on the machine.
    Sue Wilson

Just make sure when you use something to put coned thread in that the thread won't get caught up in moving part on the machine. For the glue, yes you can baste the entire sandwich using washable glue. I hold the glue bottle (full strength) upside down with the tip wide open, moving the bottle back and forth across the batting to make a grid of lines about 3-4" apart. Then I smooth down the top/backing, patting well to make sure of contact. I air dry mine (takes about an hour) but some will iron dry. Then you can flip and do the other side. By spreading the glue onto the batting, you can know that there are no wrinkles when you spread out the fabric. The sandwich will not shift at all and you can fmq wherever on the quilt ...don't have to work from the middle out. The quilt does have to be washed after completion....warm water and detergent. So easy and cheap!

Power Poster
    This is how I use cone thread on my old treadle. Don't mind the dust she's been sitting for a while. I drilled all the way through an old empty cone so the the upright spool pin can go through it. I then put a sticky Velcro pad on the empty cone and shove the second full cone onto it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My husband made me a cone stand using scraps we had around the garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The best thread holder I've used is this one: http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...-thread-stand/

You can use it horizontal or vertical for any cone or spool of thread. The thread feeds evenly from the holder.
    Got fabric?

Be sure of the quality of the thread you are going to use. If you look at the thread and there are bits of stuff along the thread, you really don't want your machine to gunk up.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I use the Superior Threads heavy duty stand. You can actually get it cheaper at Connecting Threads - http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...d__D81905.HTML

Blog Entries
    I too love the stand that BellaBoo posted. I have a spool of Aurifil 50wt 2-ply in it right now (because it feeds better than if I use the spool in the machine's spool holder).

I agree with maniacquilter2 - many big cones are made for sergers and are only two ply threads - not as strong as regular sewing thread and more linty.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Be sure of the quality of the thread you are going to use. If you look at the thread and there are bits of stuff along the thread, you really don't want your machine to gunk up.
    Kate

Blog Entries
    My opinion is if a quilter doesn't know the difference between cone serger thread and cone sewing thread, a thread stand isn't going to be their biggest problem.
    Got fabric?

Thankfully I know the difference in threads lol. My grandmother in law has a serger so I've done some thread shopping for her.

I was more looking at it from an economical standpoint of buying larger quantities of thread and cones seemed the most logical.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...r__D71253.html

I've seen this one and it's very pretty.... if you want to spend the money for it. I don't use cone thread, but if I did I'd get one of these.

I was in Houston last weekend for market and noticed someone selling machines had the cone spools in a tall glass container, like a vase for flowers. The height of the vase brings the thread up high so it doesn't drag on the machine anywhere. I'm going to dig a vase out from under the kitchen sink and take it the sewing room.

I use the Superoir Thread stand and love it.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=moonwork42029;6382545]LOL... I just stick my cone into a canning jar set next to my machine and it feeds out ok.
    I do this, too, and it works great for me!

I also like cindyw's idea.
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by bellaboo View Post
    my opinion is if a quilter doesn't know the difference between cone serger thread and cone sewing thread, a thread stand isn't going to be their biggest problem.
    This made me laugh!
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
    LOL... I just stick my cone into a canning jar set next to my machine and it feeds out ok. I know there are special stands you can get but I haven't spent the money for one.
    The canning jar is a super idea!

Quote Originally Posted by kakels View Post
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...r__D71253.html

I've seen this one and it's very pretty.... if you want to spend the money for it. I don't use cone thread, but if I did I'd get one of these.
    I just use a tall jar, but this is soooo cute! And I love how you can keep matching bobbins on the same holder! Very clever and cute! Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but then it is a functional piece of artwork.

My DH made me ( he has a wood shop) made me the most wonderful cone thread holder. I use it with all my different machines. He made a round wooden base and made it extendable (so I can adjust it to what height I need for each machine) He also made a loop on top to hold and guide the thread. I would love to put a pic, but I still haven't figured out how on here! Will try again this afternoon!
    Country 1

I have an all metal stand that I got from Amazon, which feeds fine during sewing (after a little modification), but it does not love to wind bobbins. Can you easily wind bobbins off the superior stand?

I use this little tool. http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/O...Directions.pdf

I don't bother with a jar or coffee cup since the cones stand up all by themselves. I buy Prescencia on the large cones. They're not cheap to buy but it still cuts the actual price of the thread way down.

Blog Entries
    My husband made me an insert for the larger spool/cone that goes inside from a dowel rod. He just drilled a hole up the center of the dowel rod so it fits onto the spool holder on the machine. It works great.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast