Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Using cones of thread

Thank you quilters for all the wonderful replies! I've been trying to figure out how to do this myself and now I have a pretty good idea.

Blog Entries
    Me too, I agree!!

Now that's my kind of do it your self spoil holder, beats the light weight one I bought. Didn't use my engineering brain and think of making one. Good job thanks for sharing.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Try a straight sided pint canning jar, or a paper towel holder. Look around your house for things that might work. There is no magic in purchased thread holders that I can see and I own one, but use a canning jar most of the time.

I have had success with just placing the cone over the normal big spool of sewing thread. That way the cone is stable and does not fall off when I sew. Hope you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 My husband made me a cone stand using scraps we had around the garage.

This one is THE BEST. Wow!
    The most important thing is to be sure the thread comes off the top of the cone, that is straight up, without any resistance as it is coming off the back of the cone. That's what purchased thread guides do. If there is resistance at any point, that will compromise your tension at that point.

I had been setting my cone on the floor next to the machine with just a little tilt. Worked perfectly. The thread came off the top and went over the edge of the table to the first thread guide.
    Then we got cats!
    They never got into the thread, because I moved it immediately. Then I put the cone into a plastic container and hung that just below the edge of the table. That works perfectly, too, and I don't have to move it to clean the floor.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher
    Last edited by maviskw; 11-03-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I use it all the time and yes there is a cone stand, you can order from Connecting Threads . Don't order the plastic ones, they work but are not that sturdy.
    TxCaRose

My DH also made me a stand and I make sure to place away from the fly wheel.

Power Poster
    I have the thread stand that Dunster recommends from Connecting Threads, I like the fact that the heavier base keeps it from being knocked over. I've also used it to lift the cord from my iron out of the way, just by hooking the cord at the top.

Blog Entries
    I have the decorative metal one from Connecting Threads too. DH bought it for me some years ago as a gift. There use to be several designs to choose from. It works great and is heavy it won't wobble or fall over. I wanted one that could be used horizontal and the Superior thread stand does it both ways. A guild member makes nice wooden base dowel thread holders and brings them to guild for door prizes. The one I won, I painted it red and she got miffed I painted it. LOL
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
    Can you use cones of thread with a regular old sewing machine? If so is there a stand or something that you get to put the cone on?

My janome has a the upright and horizontal thread spoil but they are way too short to use a cone on. But for economical purposes if I can figure out how to use a cone of thread with my machine that would be awesome.
    If you will PM me or email at [email protected] I have a spare I can send you-free!

I took a regular thread spool and cut off one end. Put it in the cone and used like regular thread spool on up right peg. Works great.

I use the large cones of thread all the time, mine are in a heavy glass mug, also use the glue for piecing,binding and sandwich

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaczor19 View Post
    I have an all metal stand that I got from Amazon, which feeds fine during sewing (after a little modification), but it does not love to wind bobbins. Can you easily wind bobbins off the superior stand?
    I always use the superior stand to wind bobbins for my Voyager 17. It feeds the thread evenly to the bobbin winder. Have also used it on my domestic Bernina 1230 to feed the thread. What I like about it is that I can adjust it so the thread feeds through the stand loop very close to the machine's thread spool. I just allow the thread to feed from the stand to this thread spool; everything else is the same.

Edit: I should add that I used to use a canning jar and an "outrigger" (bar with a hold to slip over the machine's thread stand and another hole through which to feed the thread) but had occasional problems with that setup, and it didn't work at all with one type of rayon thread cone. The Superior stand has worked with every thread I've tried, plus it adjusts for my Voyager's bobbin winder. Very versatile, although I hate the fact that I have to store its spare parts and directions independently of the winder. In a few years, when I finally need to use it differently, I'll never be able to find them!
    Last edited by Prism99; 11-03-2013 at 09:46 AM.

I have an adapter that makes my spool holder on the machine accommodate the cones. Just received it recently as a gift, so don't have an honest opinion as to how efficient it is.

Blog Entries
    This is the stand I have also, I love it!

Blog Entries
    I get the thread feeding well and thread extra bobbins. Then I use bobbins for both top and bobbin thread. Placing an extra felt pad on top of the upper bobbin to prevent it from spinning to fast and getting the thread tangled. When sewing away from home, it is much easier to travel with extra bobbins than cones of thread.
    Ken

Just drop the cone into a heavy glass and let'er rip. Also, tape a safety pin, round hole up, sticking slightly above the head of your machine and thread your thread through the hole. Then thread your machine as usual. That will make for a smoother stitching off the cone. If you are ever in Gastonia, NC, go to Mary Jo's and purchase f thread stand cheaper.

I put the cone in a coffee cup and I tale a small closed safety pin upside down on the end by the flywheel to create a guide for the thread so it does not get caught in the wheel. It will add a little more tension on the thread but you can adjust your bread tension on the machine.

If you have some plastic straws lying around, see if it fits over your spool pin. If it does, cut it down to the size you need. For my thread racks, I had some of the larger cones and used these plastic straws to fit. Cheap way of using what you have around the house.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Banned
    If I need some kind of guide for the thread, I tape a large paper clip somewhere on the machine to help guide the thread.

I use the glue for binding as well as for when I need a perfect nesting with some blocks. Pins seem to always move a titch over when I sew over the spot. Glueing it seems to hold it in place and I don't have to remove pins while stitching.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

cone thread for sewing

Quote Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
    Can you use cones of thread with a regular old sewing machine? If so is there a stand or something that you get to put the cone on?

My janome has a the upright and horizontal thread spoil but they are way too short to use a cone on. But for economical purposes if I can figure out how to use a cone of thread with my machine that would be awesome.
    I use cone thread often for sewing. Just remember it's lighter weight (2 ply I think) than regular thread so less durable, but for most things it's fine-use regular bobbin thread. If you have a small empty thread spool you can put that on the spindle and then put the cone over it . It keeps it from wobbling. If your thread rack dowels are too short for the cones cut drinking straws and slip over the dowels. Also works if you want to store bobbins with their thread spool or put 2 small spools of the same color together on the rack. . Have fun sewing.

I use an empty cd case (or mug) and a safety pin. Here's a blog post of how I've set it up:
    http://blog.ajpadilla.com/2010/09/11...-thread-stand/

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The best thread holder I've used is this one: http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...-thread-stand/

You can use it horizontal or vertical for any cone or spool of thread. The thread feeds evenly from the holder.
    That's the one I use, too. It isn't all that different from the one SKITTL1321 showed just before your post.
    Pat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast