Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Using cones of thread

I have the same problem, solved it by using a spool of thread ( by Coats/135 yds ) just fits inside the cone, push in tight then put on thread spindle. Works great. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I use the Superior Threads heavy duty stand. You can actually get it cheaper at Connecting Threads - http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...d__D81905.HTML
    Its even cheaper at this website: http://www.purplemoosedesigns.com/store.php?cat=32
    I use this one for quilting bee, its nicely made, has a heavy bottom plate. Its all metal.
    Sharon

I use a cone with my Janome 6600 on the regular spool. No problem.

You all have solved my problem. About a month ago I bought a cone spool of Aurifil, not realizing my Janome isn't set-up for a cone. Yesterday, because of all your suggestions, I taped the safety pin on back of machine and put thread in a cup - but the spool doesn't sit perfectly upright. Guess I will buy a canning jar, or try the straw idea. I am concerned, though, about winding a bobbin. Also do you need to use a smaller stitch length - I sew with the factory setting of 2.2. Thanks all.

I use a beer mug that is clear glass but with a heavy bottom and that works in my RV.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

A fellow bee member gave everyone an empty large peanut butter jar with a red lid and a grommet thru the center of the lid. Her DH put in the grommet. It is a perfect cone thread holder. The thread rolls off and thru the grommet.

What is the name of the black and red star on the wall? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kakels View Post
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...r__D71253.html

I've seen this one and it's very pretty.... if you want to spend the money for it. I don't use cone thread, but if I did I'd get one of these.

I have one of these and it was one of the best investments I have made since taking up quilting. It's beautiful to look at and the base is really heavy so it doesn't move. It feels like the bottom part is stone or marble. It works great and I love mine.

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I use the same one duster uses. Work great & certainly worth the money.

Banned
    I put a large paper clip over the regular thread holder to help guide from the cone in a cup

On pinterest, they show a glass jar with dried rice in the bottom then the cone of thread standing. The rice keeps the thread from spooling everywhere. I thought that was neat. I might use this idea for embroidery cone thread. So I set that up last night. I agree the serger thread is not as strong so I only use it with the serger.
    Another idea on pinterest was using a reg spool under the cone thread.

Banned
    To effectively wind bobbing from a cone.. I have to hold the thread between fingers to give it some tension

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Its even cheaper at this website: http://www.purplemoosedesigns.com/store.php?cat=32
    I use this one for quilting bee, its nicely made, has a heavy bottom plate. Its all metal.
    Sharon
    This is more along the lines of the ones that are on professional sewing machines. I worked in a sewing factory for 22.5 yrs and know the thread no matter the type has to be up high enough to come into the machine and not get caught in the machine its self and be so it won't wobble and move for it to get into the needle without any problems.

Ladibug

So many great ideas, the metal one is nice, though. And if I ever see it and it is the right price, will pick one up.
    I could swear I have seen something like this for sale in a second hand store, but foolish me walked right on by. Now I know what it is, should have known.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4