Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using cones of thread >

Using cones of thread

Using cones of thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 AM

This is the stand I have also, I love it!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM

I get the thread feeding well and thread extra bobbins. Then I use bobbins for both top and bobbin thread. Placing an extra felt pad on top of the upper bobbin to prevent it from spinning to fast and getting the thread tangled. When sewing away from home, it is much easier to travel with extra bobbins than cones of thread.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Just drop the cone into a heavy glass and let'er rip. Also, tape a safety pin, round hole up, sticking slightly above the head of your machine and thread your thread through the hole. Then thread your machine as usual. That will make for a smoother stitching off the cone. If you are ever in Gastonia, NC, go to Mary Jo's and purchase f thread stand cheaper.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:00 PM

I put the cone in a coffee cup and I tale a small closed safety pin upside down on the end by the flywheel to create a guide for the thread so it does not get caught in the wheel. It will add a little more tension on the thread but you can adjust your bread tension on the machine.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 PM

If you have some plastic straws lying around, see if it fits over your spool pin. If it does, cut it down to the size you need. For my thread racks, I had some of the larger cones and used these plastic straws to fit. Cheap way of using what you have around the house.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Banned

If I need some kind of guide for the thread, I tape a large paper clip somewhere on the machine to help guide the thread.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:45 PM

I use the glue for binding as well as for when I need a perfect nesting with some blocks. Pins seem to always move a titch over when I sew over the spot. Glueing it seems to hold it in place and I don't have to remove pins while stitching.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:57 AM

Default cone thread for sewing

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
Can you use cones of thread with a regular old sewing machine? If so is there a stand or something that you get to put the cone on?

My janome has a the upright and horizontal thread spoil but they are way too short to use a cone on. But for economical purposes if I can figure out how to use a cone of thread with my machine that would be awesome.
I use cone thread often for sewing. Just remember it's lighter weight (2 ply I think) than regular thread so less durable, but for most things it's fine-use regular bobbin thread. If you have a small empty thread spool you can put that on the spindle and then put the cone over it . It keeps it from wobbling. If your thread rack dowels are too short for the cones cut drinking straws and slip over the dowels. Also works if you want to store bobbins with their thread spool or put 2 small spools of the same color together on the rack. . Have fun sewing.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 AM

I use an empty cd case (or mug) and a safety pin. Here's a blog post of how I've set it up:
http://blog.ajpadilla.com/2010/09/11...-thread-stand/
Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The best thread holder I've used is this one: http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...-thread-stand/

You can use it horizontal or vertical for any cone or spool of thread. The thread feeds evenly from the holder.
That's the one I use, too. It isn't all that different from the one SKITTL1321 showed just before your post.