Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Using cones of thread

Blog Entries
    I have seen several types of cone thread holders at craft shows. A lot cheaper to use the cone thread instead of the smaller spools !

The most important thing is to realize that the thread must come off easily from the top of the cone. You can't expect the cone to turn as thread is pulled off it, as a spool does. It's too heavy. Most of these cute homemade cone holders don't show how the thread will come off the top. They will work only if you place them on the floor next to the machine and feed the thread into the thread holders from there. A safety pin taped onto the machine so that thread comes in through the round eye would work very well. Happy sewing.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I just put a large spool upright and place the cone on top....works for me....

lots of good ideas, thanks!! as I need one too : )
    Amythyst

Quote Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
    While I'm at it. Another question.

Using glue for basting. Do you just use it for binding or for full on basting a quilt sammich? I'm definitely going to try the glue stick for binding I need all the help I can get there. Lol.
    I have used Elmers washable school glue for just about everything including putting the layers of quilt together. I just put small little blobs and it works great. Does not seem to bother any of my quilting. I use the old Bernina 1008l. When using it for binding, I find it helps to iron sections down am you glue them down. Now, since I do raw edge applique, I am finding it much easier to use the glue to hold things down instead of fusing everything. Hope this helps.
    Lizzy in La.

Can you use cones of thread with a regular old sewing machine? If so is there a stand or something that you get to put the cone on?

My janome has a the upright and horizontal thread spoil but they are way too short to use a cone on. But for economical purposes if I can figure out how to use a cone of thread with my machine that would be awesome.
    I know there are stands specifically made for this purpose. I also saw a way to make one and I can't remember where I read it but this is what I remember about it. They used the inner part of the container that you buy blank cds or dvds in. When you buy a large container, it has a tall spindle that the cone can sit on and then they suggested a safety pin to put on your machine's thread spool and pass the thread through it. So if you have the cds or dvds on hand this would be a very economical way of providing the use of the large cones of thread. I hope that I expressed this clear enough that you get the idea.

Wow, what a great solution and needless to say, a considerate, talented husband.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The best thread holder I've used is this one: http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...-thread-stand/

You can use it horizontal or vertical for any cone or spool of thread. The thread feeds evenly from the holder.
    I have this one too, but wish it was a bit heavier, as sometimes it wobbles. I do like and use nearly all the time, with cones threads, a weighted thread stand I ordered. It came from Nancy's Notions or one of those catalog sites. If you make or buy one make sure it's heavy enough so the tension of the thread being pulled off doesn't hinder the thread path. I had previously bought a plastic one from JoAnn's and it didn't work at all. Don't waste your money getting one of those.

That is exactly what my next question was. What quality (certain thread weight and/or thread composition?) should be used and is it noted on a label on the thread

Quote Originally Posted by zzaped View Post
    That is exactly what my next question was. What quality (certain thread weight and/or thread composition?) should be used and is it noted on a label on the thread
    If I can easily break it with my hands, I don't use it.

The best thread holder I've used is this one: http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...-thread-stand/

You can use it horizontal or vertical for any cone or spool of thread. The thread feeds evenly from the holder.
    The cup thing normally works but if you invest in a thread stand - the one from Superior is SUPERIOR. It is wonderful

My opinion is if a quilter doesn't know the difference between cone serger thread and cone sewing thread, a thread stand isn't going to be their biggest problem.
    Very true, thanks for the smile of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I use the Superior Threads heavy duty stand. You can actually get it cheaper at Connecting Threads - http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...d__D81905.HTML
    I bought this exact thread stand when it was only $7, so that shows you how old it is. I use it all of the time, and have never had a problem with it. Just check at the beginning of your sewing that everything is lined up correctly and someone hasn't fussed with it. (I have people who "fuss" in my house). The only thing I did to change it was to take the metal rod out that holds the cone, and replace it with a wooden chop stick that I pounded into place. This made it very stable and the bigger cones do not wiggle much when sewing. I have a Janome and almost never use the horizontal placement because I tend to use the larger cones.

I get all of my thread at Superior Threads, and trust me, it's not linty. Love ALL their threads!
    MacThayer

I use the Superior Threads heavy duty stand. You can actually get it cheaper at Connecting Threads - http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...d__D81905.HTML
    I bought this exact thread stand when it was only $7, so that shows you how old it is. I use it all of the time, and have never had a problem with it. Just check at the beginning of your sewing that everything is lined up correctly and someone hasn't fussed with it. (I have people who "fuss" in my house). The only thing I did to change it was to take the metal rod out that holds the cone, and replace it with a wooden chop stick that I pounded into place. This made it very stable and the bigger cones no longer wiggle when sewing. I have a Janome and almost never use the horizontal placement because I tend to use the larger cones.

I get all of my thread at Superior Threads, and trust me, it's not linty. Love ALL their threads!
    MacThayer

pw6
    Can you use cones of thread with a regular old sewing machine? If so is there a stand or something that you get to put the cone on?

My janome has a the upright and horizontal thread spoil but they are way too short to use a cone on. But for economical purposes if I can figure out how to use a cone of thread with my machine that would be awesome.
    you can buy a stand alone cone holder anywhere, I never use spools even on my embroidery machine or my quilter. It is soooooo much cheaper to buy cone thread and it works on amy machine ..

pw6
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
    LOL... I just stick my cone into a canning jar set next to my machine and it feeds out ok. I know there are special stands you can get but I haven't spent the money for one.

I lvoe that idea, and a 1/2 gallon jae would be heavier... great idea, I am going to try this one...LOL... thanks for sharing... PW6 in tx

I've never used a serger, but figured if the serger thread was called serger thread, their was a reason for it, so never bought it.

From your post, I guess I figured right, but now please tell me why it can't be used on a DSM. I'm like a 3 year old; I always want to know why!

Blog Entries
    There are plstic ones at Joann's -or- Hancocks for about $10.99
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    you can use the empty cd disk holder....it has the spindle on it and the cone will sit upright on it without any problem...

You can put a coffee cup on the side of your machine and put the cone inside it works great

Blog Entries
    I have a simple metal stand now, but with my older Janome I used a jar and taped a safety pin to the side of the machine to guide the thread. This worked great and simple.

I use the cones all the time. I just place a drinking straw from over the holder to make it taller. I do prefer the McDonalds straws as they are a little bigger.

I have a janome and I just put a plastic straw (cut the length I need) over the upright pin. Works great and is really cheap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
    I agree with maniacquilter2 - many big cones are made for sergers and are only two ply threads - not as strong as regular sewing thread and more linty.
    Actually, 2-thread poly threads are very strong - stronger than cotton. Thus, you may want to think about what they might do to your quilt over time. I used serger thread to piece quilts for many years UNTIL one of the quilts my family cuddled with for TV-watching began to tear at the pieced seams. The thread was cutting the fabric. The stitches were intact. Since then, I've become a cotton thread piecer, and my fav is Aurifil - the least linty I've found. I started with Connecting Threads, but it REALLY linted up my machine. Sorry CT fans. Aurifil has very little lint.

At last something cheaper in Australia! $3.99 for that at the local fabric chain Spotlight.
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric then sew it back together again? Really?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast