Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a Featherweight machine >

Using a Featherweight machine

Using a Featherweight machine

Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

I prefer sewing on my Bernina to sewing on my featherweight. It's not just the speed. I like to use moleskin or other adhesive guide on the bed of my machine to help keep my seams straight and accurate. Can't put that on the bed of my featherweight because of the finish, which can be permanently marred by an adhesive.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 PM

The FW has only a .4 motor, so yes it's not speedy. But if a FW seems slower than it should the motor likely needs service. I have a Benina 830 but I mainly use that for embroidery and FMQing so the FW doesn't bug me. What bugs me about the FW is that the tensioner is right in my line of sight and kind of interferes with my view. I like the 301 and the slant shank better. The 301 doesn't have this issue and it has a faster and larger motor.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:07 AM

Prism, I imagine you're aware of it, but on recommendation from another member here I recently purchased a "Sew Straight" guide from Nova because I, too, didn't want to mar the finish. I haven't actually *used* it yet because I'm in the middle of a project, but I did put it on there and it seems to be a good substitute.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:32 AM

I have two featherweights and I use both of them. They make a excellent stitch. I piece quilts and make purses. They stitch through several layers of fabric and fusible fleece on purse handles with ease.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

I had the opportunity to buy a white Singer featherweight but I thought that white wasn't a great color nor being busy with quilting for others I never had time to take classes. I regret it now since I found out a decade later that the white was are more rare and I am now searching for something very lightweight for taking with me to the church sewer's group.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

I have one of the dainty white (green) FW. A straight 1/4 seam is the same no matter what machine sews it. Sometimes I just want to sew on my FW and sometimes I don't. My machines fit my mood.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 AM

I just got back from a week of camping in my 5th wheel trailer and used my featherweight to start the disappearing hour glass quilt! My husband loves the fact that my machine uses so little power that our solar power can keep our batteries charged when I'm sewing.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 AM

I primarily used my FWs for piecing and most general sewing. I love the accurate stitch them make and I do enjoy working on them. But the thing I love the most about them, and all my other vintage machines, is the sound they make as they sew. That click-click-click sound is so calming, like sitting beside the ocean, hearing the waves gently pat the shore. It's music to my ears. So, I don't have to sew fast. I'm retired. I can relax now and do things at a slower pace. I have about 15 machines in all, some are newer computerized, $$$$ machines but I only use them when I need that open arm space or I want to make a cute embroidery piece to embellish one of my grandchildren's gifts. The FWs go with me when I 'sew with the girls' or take a class. I love FWs so much that I have one at my summer place, one at my winter place, and I'm saving 2 more for my granddaughters when they get old enough. I'm a FW fan.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Thank you for all your comments on the pros and cons of the Featherweights. I do have a little Janome gem for taking to classes, as the Bernina is way to large to move around. I also have the old Singer my Grandmother learned to sew on, but it too is heavy. Will keep the Featherweights in mind.....
Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Skylark, thanks for the information about the Sew Straight guide for featherweights; I had not run across it. For others who may be interested, here is a link to it:
http://www.novamontgomery.com/shop/T...ight-Guide.htm