Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 47 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Blog Entries
    Do you have a Featherweight if so plese post here so you can all chit chat with each other. Have fun!

I am still looking for one! I sure hope I can find one this year.

Craftybear

Blog Entries
    I bought one a couple of weeks ago, but its away being cleaned and won't come home to play until after Memorial day. (Yep, the sewing shop is that backed up!) I scored some really cool extra attachments today for $15, so I am pretty excited about that.

I have a well loved 221 and a pristine 222.

I got mine last year - I had been looking at every garage sale/estate sale/thrift shop in my area. I am a regular. Also lost some bids on ebay. On a road trip I saw a sign for an antique mall, and since it was right off the interstate I gave it a chance. I walked in, turned right, and there it was. Paid $150, I think, and it had a bobbin case. No carrying case or attachments, but after all that looking I figured I could be very happy with just the machine. And I am. It has a great stitch and I love the little hum it makes.

I have a white one. I have had problems with it but Dave Mccallem has helped my husband fix the motor and I sent him the foot pedal to fix. It is on the way back so I hope to be able to use her again soon.
    She is a awesome machine.

I was lucky. On E-bay I was the only one to bid on a 221 about a year ago. Got her for $200. She's in very good condition and sews like a dream. I took a class on how to maintain her to keep her purring which is quite simple.
    I'm looking for a centennial since my birthyear is 1951, yes, I'm going to be 60 in a few weeks, ouch. Would also love to have a 222 but so far they're out of my price range.

I just bought one on e-bay last week and am eagerly awaiting her arrival. I'm a little nervous about what condition she may be in, but hopefully a little TLC will have her singing again soon.

I have two black ones. One from Ebay and the other was gifted to me by my DMinL a few years after I got the first. Thought about selling the first but DH persuaded me to keep it.

I have one that I got on ebay a few weeks ago and it has become my RV machine. It seems to sew perfectly after a very minor adjustment on the bobbin tension.

Blog Entries
    I have a 301A Long bed, did I make the grade.....?

Blog Entries
    I have a Centenial that I got last year from ebay. I got it for under $200 so I was very happy. DH was really suprised at how small they are. He thought I got took and someone sent me a childs sewing machine. He calls it the Micro Machine. She sews a perfect stitch and I love sewing on it.

I have two - Libby born in 1956 and Ruby Jewel born in 1947. Love to sew on them both. Am now on the lookout for a 1952 version, my birth year.

I have one that I got over 30 years ago for $40.00. I used it for years then it sat in the closet. I recently got it out and forgot the love I have for that machine. I took a class on how to clean and lube/oil your machine. Here is a great web site for informaion, parts and accessories. I took the class from Dave. www.featherweightrx.com

Quote Originally Posted by redpurselady
    I have two - Libby born in 1956 and Ruby Jewel born in 1947. Love to sew on them both. Am now on the lookout for a 1952 version, my birth year.
    Is Ruby Jewel your avatar, she is absolutely beautiful. I thought I wanted a white one as a sister to my black one but now I want yours :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    Is Ruby Jewel your avatar, she is absolutely beautiful. I thought I wanted a white one as a sister to my black one but now I want yours :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Yes, that is Ruby Jewel. She was completely refurbished and painted per my color choice. Even her foot pedal is red!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    that is so cool, I would love to find a Featherweight (I was born in 1956)

Blog Entries
    Please post pictures of your Featherweight and do you name them?

Blog Entries
    I've told my story before, but here it is again. Our VW van was broken down in Angleton, Tex and while we waited for a new transmission to be Gray-hounded to us, we went shopping in all the antique shops around. Found my FW in one, I think they wanted $150. I had seen some in VA for $400, so I knew the price wasn't too bad. Found a quilt shop and the book "the perfect portable" by nancy johnson srebro (it's still a great book, btw and I think she's published a newer edition) and we studied it, plus talked to the quilt shop owner and a friend of hers who was very knowledgable and helpful.

Went back very next day when the store opened, and tried to get that sucker to make a stitch, but no dice. Another shopper took a good look, told us he knew sewing machines and nothing serious was wrong with it. We made an offer of $120 and it was mine! Did have a mechanic check it over at home and he put the tension back together where DH had gotten a bit overenthusiastic :shock:

I've had her about 10 yrs now and I just adore her. When ever I can find new toys for her at thrift shops or whatever I get them because we like to play together!

my favorite toy, the penguin walking foot, very rare, it waddles
    Name:  Attachment-200246.jpe
Views: 1036
Size:  34.2 KB

back side and box for walking foot
    Name:  Attachment-200247.jpe
Views: 1045
Size:  38.8 KB

I think I've told this story before, but here goes.
    Got my FW for Christmas in 1968. Found a receipt that Mom paid $50 for it and had to pay $10 per week for it. Sewed all my clothes at college and my wedding dress. I've also upholstered 2 antique cars, sewed tents and now quilts. Love it for taking to classes. I'm taking it in the camper this summer. When my Brother acts up or won't sew through some of the purse seams, I dig out the FW.
    Would never get rid of it.

What does the penguin foot do? I know, it waddles but what else? Inquiring minds want to know :-)

My daughter and I each have one, both really nice condition with the attachments, buttonholers and nice cases. Mine was born in 1955, my daughters in 1951 without the centennial badge.

Blog Entries
    The penguin is an original singer walking foot and folded inside the wee box was the original instruction book. The last one I saw went off ebay at $585, worth almost 3 times more then I paid for the FW!

Blog Entries
    I have two FWs. The first I bought in the early 60s for $50 and sewed for 4 kids on it. The other one belonged to my late daughter and is the one I use the most.

I got mine about 6 weeks ago at an estate auction while on vacation in Maine. They sold the machine and the FW table in the same lot and I got BOTH for $110. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I won mine on ebay about 4-6 weeks ago. Also took a class on care and feeding of FW. I have polished and wazed her, she sews beautifully. I have pieced with her every night this week after work; have 3 quilts in progress all pieced on Lizzie.
    She was born the same year as me 1952; DH wants one for his B'day in Nov. His birth year is 1951; I would love to find a badged cenntenial for him:)

Lizzie
    Name:  Attachment-200267.jpe
Views: 777
Size:  60.9 KB

Page 1 of 47 1 2 11 ... LastLast