Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using Homespun as Quilt Backing?

Has anyone else ever done this? I had an entire bolt of Moda Homespun that was given to me a couple of years ago by a friend after she sold her quilt shop, so I decided to use a few yards of it to back my Bricks & Stepping Stones (http://www.quiltville.com). I have it on the frame and am in the process of quilting it now; it's actually quilting up quite nicely, but I was wondering if there are any problems I might have to worry about in the future. Anyone?

Thanks!

i have a friend that uses homespun fabric quite regularly.

Have fun!

I've used it in squares on a top, so can't see why it wouldn't work as backing.

It will quilt up nicely, and be soft after washing. The only problem I've had with homespun is with washing it. It seemed to have a lot of extra dye in it. Color Catchers took care of that. My homespun was red and green plaid.

Quote Originally Posted by momymom
    It will quilt up nicely, and be soft after washing. The only problem I've had with homespun is with washing it. It seemed to have a lot of extra dye in it. Color Catchers took care of that. My homespun was red and green plaid.
    Thanks for the heads-up. :)

I always use Color Catchers and/or dye magnets, but have also been known to use hubby's white cotton socks to catch the extra dye when washing - lol

Blog Entries
    My only issue with homespun is that it frays so easily so if you are making blocks you have to handle a lot, you can end up with a mess. Otherwise, I love the feel of it and think it will make a wonderful backing. So clever of you to think of that!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltnchik
    Quote Originally Posted by momymom
    Thanks for the heads-up. :)

I always use Color Catchers and/or dye magnets, but have also been known to use hubby's white cotton socks to catch the extra dye when washing - lol

Oh thanks for the great tip-

:lol: :lol: