Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What kind of quilts have you made using homespun fabrics?

Blog Entries

What kind of quilts have you made using homespun fabrics?

I seem to have acquired a lot of homespun fabrics in various colors.All plaids. I am searching for the perfect pattern to utilize some of these fabrics. Please show me yours or give me some suggestions as to what to do with them?
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    Here is a link of a french braid done with homespun; I think it is really pretty
    http://keepyouinstitches.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html
    Judy

Thanks for the link romanojg. I love homespun and that is a great way to use it! I actually wouldn't have thought it would look good in a french braid.
    Kelly

Blog Entries
    here's one i've made---i've actually done this one a couple times-and i also used homespuns for a 'Delectable Mountains' quilt which turned out very nice- but i don't have a picture of that one.
    i really like working with homespuns- this one is a pretty easy pattern-
    Attached Images Attached Images

hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    i must add---I LOVE the french braid one! now i want to go buy more homespuns...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have never made a quilt using plaids, but a few years back I bought a book title "Mad about Plaid!" by Debbie Bacon. Among the 8 projects in the book is Churn Dash using plaids. Several cute ideas in the book. Now that I have got the book out and looked at it again I need to move it up on my bucket list. lol

I have a book called "Scrap Quilts fast and fun" by Oxmoor House (compiled and edited by Patricia Wilens). In is a quilt called "Madras Kaliedoscope" and it's one of the patterns I bought the book for and it's on my bucket list.

I found a quilt that someone is selling on E-Bay that gives you a general idea, except it looks like they used solids for the lights.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rainbow-M...-/230675237375

I've also seen Courthouse steps done in homespuns which I loved as well!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Rag quilts with homespuns are so fun and cozy. Made one for my dad for Christmas and he wants another - one for this recliner and one to sleep with . Fast and easy to make, too!

Homespun fabrics are great to use for rag time quilts. The wide seams fray very nicely. You can also make chenele quilt for it.

Check out Bonnie Hunter's scrap quilts on Quiltville.com. She uses a lot of plaids. I have her book Scraps and Shirttails and most of the quilts have plaids from recycled mens' shirts.

Last edited by IngeMK; 03-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.

I also had a goodly amount of plaid homespun fabric and I made 3 quilts from the Donna Poster collection. They turned out quite nice. Since homespun is a bit stretchy, working with a muslin backing seemed to keep the fabric in place quite nicely. This is her website.... http://donnaposter.com/

Homespuns make terrific tea towels.

Banned
    I love working with plaids and have made several plaid quilts. I don't know how to scan pictures into my computer so cannot post them.
    PM me if you'd like me to send you pictures and directions for my 2 favorites.

OK,What is a rag quilt?

I made E. Sloppy's plaid string pieced quilt with triple sashing and 9 patch cornerstones. I also cut up a huge tote box into enough squares for two rag quilts top and bottom. This is in addition to the finished rag quilt made by a freindfrom the same box of fabric. thankfully, I am on to other projects.

I just gave what I had to my friend, she makes rag quilts with them.

Blog Entries
    I love rag quilts. I have the die for accuquilt. I made lots of squares and have them ready to go so when I need a fast gift I go thru my box and pick out blocks to suit the one getting the quilt; stitch the quilt together and a fast gift is ready. I will also have some blocks with solids on one side and then applique animals, etc on the reverse side to make it a two sided quilt.
    Judy

I did a very simple one a while back using 3 different sizes of blue paid, 3 of green and 3 of red. Just made 6" blocks (finished size) and staggered them. Wish I had a pic to share. Very simple but cute.

I did a cat quilt using all homespuns.

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    I seem to have acquired a lot of homespun fabrics in various colors.All plaids. I am searching for the perfect pattern to utilize some of these fabrics. Please show me yours or give me some suggestions as to what to do with them?
    My two most favorite quilts that I've ever made a both made from homespun fabrics. One is a log cabin with stars, pattern by Sharlene Jorgenson and the other quilt is a scrappy star - I can't remember the pattern or pattern maker. I hand quilted both. I still have a couple of patterns on my "to do" list for my homespun stash, Plaid Fowers by Cheri Saffiote, and Scrap Bag Stars by Buggy Barn. Of course I think anything would look good in homespuns. Good luck choosing.

Home spun

I have made a couple of homespun rag quilts, they were for guys as they look masculine and yet are soft and cuddly they do rag nicely and I love plaid .

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    I made a pattern called Bears in the Cabin. It's all plaid and is the Bear Paw pattern with 4 to a block. I really like it but it was sure out of my box. I cut most of the plaids with scissors so it took a little more time.

I have made 2 quilts with homespun fabrics, mostly Mission Valley plaids and stripes. The first quilt is made with 16" double sawtooth star blocks. The second is pieced birds with setting blocks made from stripes and plaids, "Margaret's Bird".

I love homespun's, I made my oldest son a quilt with homespun's and I found old timey looking sports prints. I'd show a pic but the monsters took the batteries out of my camera for their Xbox controllers. Funny you would say that just this morning I was looking for orange plaids and homespun for a quilt on the cover of a mag. Better homes and Garden American Patchwork and Quilting Oct 2008.
    *Rachel*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast