Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using mono-filament thread to machine quilt >

Using mono-filament thread to machine quilt

Using mono-filament thread to machine quilt

Old 10-01-2014, 11:53 AM

Default Using mono-filament thread to machine quilt

I have heard mentioned on various threads about using mono-filament thread when free motion quilting so that it is not noticeable. I just remember when the thread first came out that the clothing it was used on was very irritating to wear. The thread would poke all the time. Has it been improved so that it is not so rough on the skin. Personally I cannot see cuddling up with a quilt that has been sewn using this type of thread. I like the idea of it not showing on the surface of the quilt though.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM

I've used it on a quilt before with no skin irritation, but I don't think I would ever use it again for other reasons. Maybe on art quilts, but not bed quilts.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:42 PM

I have only used it in wall hangings. It's like sewing with fishing line. I don't think I would put it on a wear and tear type of quilt.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
Has it been improved so that it is not so rough on the skin.
Yes.

In my opinion, the "fishing line" experience has been much improved upon in recent years, with new developments in materials, technology and textiles.

Why don't you try it for yourself? Make a sample or a small lap quilt and see how you like it.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 PM

I agree with the others. I use finer threads make FMQs easier and once the quilt is washed, the stitching hardly shows.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

A lot depends on the brand of monofilament you use. I have used YLI nylon monofilament, which is as fine as baby hair, and it is not at all "pokey". None of the polyester monofilaments I have tried is that fine, but lots of people think polyester is better. If a thread is like fishing line, it is not going to be a good one to machine quilt with.

Edit: I should add that I prefer to use a fine cotton or polyester thread for machine quilting nowadays. I still like nylon monofilament for machine applique, but for quilting it's just nicer to work with good quality, fine cotton or polyester. Bottom Line has a silver thread that seems to blend into most fabrics (sorry, don't remember the name at the moment but I can look it up later if you want; have a cone of it in the other room).

Last edited by Prism99; 10-01-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Check out Harriet Hargraves or Hargroves... I can never remember her name! I use hers and it is so fine. She was machine quilting long before Longarms were ever even thought of. She is a Master Quilter!
Old 10-01-2014, 02:08 PM

I used monofilament to STID( not FMQ) on quilts for DDs' to take to college 12-13 years ago. It has held up fine. They never complained about any scratchy-ness or pokes. they still use the quilts.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

The quality of monofilament thread had greatly improved from the old days when it felt like fishing line. I try very hard to match my background thread. I have used Sulky monofilament with no problems on my Bernina 1530.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:09 PM

I have a nine patch that I quilted with YLI monofilament at least 20 years ago. It is by far the favorite grab and cuddle quilt in the house. It has been used by everyone...dh, kids, dogs..they all love it. Not scratchy at all.