Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using photo paper

Using photo paper

I tried to search the site using photo paper but got lots of photos and info on paper piecing.

I am trying to include photos in a quilt I am making for my nephew. I used a product that was 100% cotton poplin and followed the directions. When the photos were printed they looked wonderful.

Then I rinsed them as the dierections said. The color faded so much that even the pictures had 1 thing on them they are unrecognizable. What did I do wrong? Is there a better product I could have used?

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Did you wash the fabric first?

Blog Entries
    Try googling photo transfer to fabric.

Here is a link I posted a while back about a product that surprised me at the difference in quality. Interesting Discovery - Photos on Fabric - Big Difference

I think if you put "quotes" around the phrase you are searching for - you won't get all the random things. Not actually sure that works here, but worth a try. There have been other posts on this topic.

The fabric is paper backed so that it can go through a computer printer, so no, it wasn't washed forst.

Betty's Photo paper looks good, but so did mine. I'd like to see pics after the product is used in a quilt though. do you have any of these?

Look and see if it says "dry clean only".....a lot of it does and you CANNOT wash it at all...ask me how I know???? Make sure it says washable and some of them have to be heat set after printing.

Blog Entries
    Did you heat set it first before rinsing them? Printed Treasures works good. Print. Press. Peel. Wet. Dry.

search for Fabric Printer sheets- there are a number on the market- some for wall hangings- some for (usable quilts) it's important to read the package & make sure the one you choose can be laundered.
    I have had mixed results with the commercial products- i do better making my own- using (pfd -- prepared for dyeing) fabric & freezer paper- it is also important to be using permenent ink(kind of expensive-name brands) in your printer- if you are using the (knock off) refillable- inexpensive inks they will not last- they are water soluble- wash out inks...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by heronfan View Post
    Betty's Photo paper looks good, but so did mine. I'd like to see pics after the product is used in a quilt though. do you have any of these?
    Here are the photos (done with Betty's photo sheets) in my quilt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cb.jpg   cbe.jpg