Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Pre-cut fabric >

Using Pre-cut fabric

Using Pre-cut fabric

Old 04-02-2014, 03:27 PM

Default Using Pre-cut fabric

How many of you use the pre-cut squares and jell roll sets? How do they compare to the price of yardage?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:37 PM

I love the pre-cuts for variety; they are pricy for what you get. I have a nice collection of jelly rolls, charm packs and layer cakes. I subscribe to a charm pack club and get 4 charm packs every month. That being said, I no longer buy precuts as much as I used to. I lean towards buying fat quarters or 1/2 or yard bundles of fabric. I find that I get more bang for my buck and the same variety when I buy 1/2 yard bundles than if I were to buy a fat quarter. I lean towards scrappy quilts so I buy grab bags when ever I get the opportunity.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:40 PM

I've used precuts in the past but I too think they're a bit pricey. I usually go to the 50% sale at JoAnn's and stock up with 1/2 yd of a lot of different fabrics. I'm slowly building a stash but don't want row after row of fabric sitting around. I try to buy just enough to use up in a reasonable length of time.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Most places charge extra for the pre-cuts. Connecting Threads is the exception - no price difference. I very seldom buy any for various reasons, including lack of consistent size, preference for washing fabrics before sewing, and preference for assembling my own fabrics.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:13 PM
RST

I buy and use them occasionally. You are paying for the convenience and the coordination and variety, so yes, they price out more expensive than yardage. If you watch for sales, you can often find reductions of 30% off list price, which, with free shipping, translates to a nice fabric fix when going shopping isn't an option.

RST
Old 04-02-2014, 04:34 PM

I would rather buy yardage than precuts. I never know what I might use the fabric for and like to have enough of a piece to do something fun with. If I'm buying for my stash I get either one yard, 3 yards or 6 yards of a piece.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:48 PM

I love pre-cuts and purchase them often - I love having the complete collection so I never have to worry about picking fabrics - and I always get compliments about how good I am with color (I smile and thank them). I only buy brand name pre-cuts like Moda, Robert Kaufman, Riley Blake....I've never had problems with the pre-cuts being cut wrong- also, I buy them on sale - I don't like to pay retail price - so I check many blogs and websites to find a good deal - many times I get 20-30% or more off the price - plus free shipping and often no sales tax. Its possible to use them and get the great deals - you just have to look for them. You have to buy them when you find a good sale - because the fabrics aren't around forever - the collections change several times a year. So I absolutely recommend them and I will continue to use them.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM

I use them occasionally. It depends on how many fabrics that I need for the pattern. the thought of picking out 40 fabrics gives me a headach. Plus I could never find all the variety of fabrics that come in a pack. I am now working on a welcome Wallhanging that needs ony a charm pack. I got one for $9.5 with lots of coordinating colors. Since that is all I need it is cheaper then buying 1/4 yd of these fabrics.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:02 PM

If precut are perfect for what I'm making then I like to use them because it saves me the cutting time. A favorite thing for me is to do a DNP with a charm pack. I also like jelly roll race quilts with jelly rolls. They can be a little more expensive though.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM

I don't buy precuts because of the price, however they sure would make life easier.