Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Using scraps

Power Poster
    I've been making 8--inch squares using scraps -I've made 54 of them so far.

The question I have is: When I start to do something scrappy, there are a lot of scraps in the wastebasket and a few squares are done. But why is there such a big pile of scraps still on the table? It seems like I didn't even make a tiny dent in the pile.

Blog Entries
    I think that each scrap needs to be kept separately because at night they, uh, :oops: , multiply.

Sorry, I have no suggestions because mine are particularly prolific and every time I think I have a storage solution, they outgrow it. Control.....I need control......

Or, you can send them my way and I'll use them. :wink: hehe

Kyia

LOL.
    Scraps are a problem.
    Any thing smaller than a fat quarter I cut into 5 inch squares for charm quilts.
    There is a quilt pattern for using strips of all sizes but the book is out of print.
    Basic instruction is cut strips 1,2,3,4,5. All with an added 1/2 inch.
    Then make strip sets that add up to 6 1/2 inchs. Example: 3 1/2 plus 3 1/2 = 6 1/2. Then combine them to make a 12 1/2 inch square.
    This pattern was a Sewing with Nancy book called Scrap Happy Quilts. It was the most fun quilt I ever made.

Ole scrapquilter here says, the more the merrier! :lol: :lol: I do love those scraps, and I would appreciate it if you would let me in on how to get them to multiply! :lol: :lol: Went through mine a couple of weeks ago and threw out anything less than 1 in. felt bad about doing that even.

Send all unwanted scraps to Ninnie :wink: :wink:

Even the tiny, tiny ones I sewed into my Crazy Quilt!
    mary

Have been saving, and now will be sewing a scrappy. I think it will be more of a crazy quilt. Tired of the cats knocking the boxes off the table after I have sorted them. Those darn cats think they own this place and it should be arranged for THEIR comfort, not mine! :?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I've been making 8--inch squares using scraps -I've made 54 of them so far.

The question I have is: When I start to do something scrappy, there are a lot of scraps in the wastebasket and a few squares are done. But why is there such a big pile of scraps still on the table? It seems like I didn't even make a tiny dent in the pile.
    http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...=Leftovers.jpg

This entire quilt was made from the scrap bin and I swear, the bin was just as full when I was done. DH said that I needed to leave the light on in the sewing room because the fabric was being "naughty." ROFL

Power Poster
    I like that quilt.

It looks "planned" - did you just maybe get a "little bit" of your "good" fabric to make the colors come out right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I like that quilt.

It looks "planned" - did you just maybe get a "little bit" of your "good" fabric to make the colors come out right?
    Thanks,

the only fabric I had to pull from the stash was some of the lights. I didn't have enough in my bin. I think it looks "planned" because it has a consistent dark/light arrangement. It's so easy - just rectangles sewn on mitered,

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast