Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: Using scraps

  1. #26
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,274
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by azam
    Wow, Madquilter, that's a very nice scrap quilt. Great use of lights and darks!!!
    Oh thanks. :oops:

    I just started to sew my left-over corners into half-square triangles and keep them in a small bin. I also got the small set of Perfect Circles and make small circles for a flower applique. They are contained separately too. All the other scraps and end-pieces from strip piecing get tossed in a tall bin.

  2. #27
    Super Member JoanneS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AZ and CT
    Posts
    4,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    Years ago, I started cutting leftover flannel from shirts etc into 3" and 4" squares. Eventually I MAY may a quilt. Other 'leftovers' go in plastic baggies - some graduate to boxes (blues - my fav color). I like Klue's idea of sewing them together to make a piece of fabric. That's an expecially good idea for blues (skies and water - would have been easier for my baby quilt than the fussy kaleidescopes!) and lights - which I never seem to have enough of. I think I'll try that.

  3. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunny Fl
    Posts
    144
    Blog Entries
    1
    MadQuilter, I just love your scrapy quilt. Did you have a pattern and would you share it with us. Thanks

  4. #29
    Super Member azam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,431
    Great idea Klue! Mine are in plastic bags but not sorted by color. Sounds like I have something to do when I get bored, ha! ha! Tons of scraps, may take me a while :shock:

  5. #30
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,087
    Anything in odd shapes or smaller than a fat quarter gets cut into 2" strips. If it's too small for that, it gets cut into 1 1/2" strips.

    I... uh... have two 18 gallon Rubbermaid totes full of 2" strips and one full of 1 1/2" strips. :oops: BUT... I use them. I have made at least 40 tablerunners and other small projects from those totes and even a few bed quilts. As others have mentioned, they multiply. Last year I made 7 tablerunners and two baby quilts from my 1 1/2" strip tote, and it didn't even make a noticeable dent in my stash.

    Even just this week, I have made some potholders and coasters for myself, as well as two pieced pillows for my daughter-in-law (double-sided) AND my niece pulled out enough strips to make a log cabin quilt for her bed.

    I will post pictures of the pillows in the Photo forum - they turned out just right for my DIL's very modern family room.

  6. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by azam
    Great idea Klue! Mine are in plastic bags but not sorted by color. Sounds like I have something to do when I get bored, ha! ha! Tons of scraps, may take me a while :shock:
    give it to a child to do. its a great way to help them learn colors and play with fabric.

    my niece sorts the scrap and ribbon bin for me every time she comes over. she's been doing it since she was 3 - she's almost 5 now. it really helped with getting her interested in fabric and sewing.

    yesterday she made a tablerunner and 8 placemats (i posted pics on that board if you'd like to see her work).

  7. #32
    Super Member JoanneS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AZ and CT
    Posts
    4,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cathe - ANOTHER great idea. Strips would make it SO much easier to start using leftovers - tho' I DO like the look of odd-shaped pieces in Mile-a-minute blocks. I'll be posting pictures of 2 as soon a I dig them out of the boxes from AZ. Those blocks are a great way to use scraps.

  8. #33
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,754
    Any others of you do this?

    I'm happily using scraps - but then I'm kind of "short" of a certain color, so then I go digging into the "stash" fabric - and then I have another stack of stuff to put back.

  9. #34
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I bought a GO die cut machine and now I can die cut many scrap pieces at one time. They cut neatly stacked together and it's so easy and nice to be able to pull a baggie of 2 in squares, triangles, circles, or hexagons. The die cut machine is the best thing for quilting since the rotary cutter. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

  10. #35
    Super Member JoanneS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AZ and CT
    Posts
    4,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I bought a GO die cut machine and now I can die cut many scrap pieces at one time. They cut neatly stacked together and it's so easy and nice to be able to pull a baggie of 2 in squares, triangles, circles, or hexagons. The die cut machine is the best thing for quilting since the rotary cutter. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    How much does the GO cost? AccuCut is another alternative, and it costs a bit under $300 with just a few dies. How many dies come with the GO? How much do the additional ones cost?
    How many layers can you cut at a time? Is there a warranty re how long the dies will stay sharp?

  11. #36
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,087
    For anyone who hasn't seen it yet - this website has MANY free patterns for scrap quilting - http://quiltville.com/index.html

  12. #37
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,754
    thanks for the site - wonderful!

  13. #38
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    This is a phenomenon I am unable to comprehend.
    I have many, many, MANY totes.
    I have taken a tote and just started working through the scraps, making something between a crazy quilt and the crumb thang so capably introduced to me on this list.
    I will work for DAYS on scrap blocks ... I will cut for DAYS ... I will neatly fold and not let go of a piece of fabric until all that goes into the waste basket are slivers!
    ANd, I fill up a tote with my scrap blocks ... and STILL find the tote isn't any less full, even though I have separated, catalogued, moved things around and the quilt is on its way out of the house ... and STILL the tote is full!
    I think it has something to do with letting air get to the fabric. Am not sure, but that is what I think. I have even gone so far as to put the scrap blocks into a different tote ... the original is more full than when I started.
    Something is not right here ... and, I am thinking that science isn't so exact that it can explain it all.

  14. #39
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,754
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    This is a phenomenon I am unable to comprehend.
    I have many, many, MANY totes.
    I have taken a tote and just started working through the scraps, making something between a crazy quilt and the crumb thang so capably introduced to me on this list.
    I will work for DAYS on scrap blocks ... I will cut for DAYS ... I will neatly fold and not let go of a piece of fabric until all that goes into the waste basket are slivers!
    ANd, I fill up a tote with my scrap blocks ... and STILL find the tote isn't any less full, even though I have separated, catalogued, moved things around and the quilt is on its way out of the house ... and STILL the tote is full!
    I think it has something to do with letting air get to the fabric. Am not sure, but that is what I think. I have even gone so far as to put the scrap blocks into a different tote ... the original is more full than when I started.
    Something is not right here ... and, I am thinking that science isn't so exact that it can explain it all.
    Me, too.

    I can get obsessed with a scrap quilt. Why is it so much more fun/interesting/challenging to try to use those scraps than to cut into a large piece of fabric? (God - and a few others - know I do have BIG pieces to cut into/up)

  15. #40
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    I think one of my problems is: I keep adding scraps to blocks and never come to a conclusion .. I got up one morning DETERMINED to finally cut my scrap blocks into a uniform size and just grab something, cut to match and go from there ....
    I was DETERMINED, but ...
    the day started happening, there wasn't time to stay DETERMINED, and I have never had that thought again!

  16. #41
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I think one of my problems is: I keep adding scraps to blocks and never come to a conclusion .. I got up one morning DETERMINED to finally cut my scrap blocks into a uniform size and just grab something, cut to match and go from there ....
    I was DETERMINED, but ...
    the day started happening, there wasn't time to stay DETERMINED, and I have never had that thought again!

    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


  17. #42
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,274
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Any others of you do this?

    I'm happily using scraps - but then I'm kind of "short" of a certain color, so then I go digging into the "stash" fabric - and then I have another stack of stuff to put back.
    Oh yeah, me too. I have a lot FQs so I conside them fair game to scrap up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.