Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using a serger in quilting

Using a serger in quilting

Have you used a serger in any of your quilting projects? I have a book reviewed and demoed on Nancy's Notions about using your serger in quilting projects. It Is on my To Do list.
    Have a good day!

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    yup, yup, yup & i'll never do it again! i used a serger so that the seams would be sturdy... later i decided i didn't like the sashing....it's still folded up at this point b/c i'm uncertain as to whether i want to tackle it or NOT!

i think it's a great idea to use a serger for quick & ez projects you can finish in a day, but you maybe need to think twice about using a serger on more complicated works!
    "variety is the spice of life"

I have made a quilt using my serger and found it to be extra bulky at the seams. If you want to do it it needs to be larger blocks. I much prefer using my sewing machine for making quilts.

I don't care to use my serger for quilting - just not the look or feel I want.

Blog Entries
    I tried it. Agree with the other posters. Much prefer a sewing machine.

I am all about fast fast fast and easy! Love my serger! I did a top with the regular machine and was going to piece the back. Didn't need to be as precise, so just made strips of 6" width random lengths and serged my little heart out. I was very pleased with the results. Looked great, went fast, and easy. Long arm quilter didn't feel the same way! She said crossing the "bulky" seams was really a headache....so if tying or making a small baby quilt for durability, I would still do it, but want to keep my LA lady happy, so no more serged for me/her.

I like to use the serger when it comes to piecing large sections for the backing. Sometimes I have used it to attach borders. It is also a nice way to finish off the edges of the quilt before binding. I have pieced a couple small projects with the serger and find it does add bulk to the short seams so I stay with the DSM. I have not had any problems quilting the tops on my Bailey.

I've made several of the Kaye Wood six-hour quilts. I used the serger for that. But that is a QAYG method so the thicker seams is not a concern.
    One step at a time, always forward.

May yrs ago, Eleanor Burns demoed a quilt using the serger. I found a tute on YouTube for serging small projects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fMipoO00m0 I did use my serger for a lap quilt, "a few yrs" ago......it's still a project in progress..... :-0

I'm thinking about serging a plain (maybe a D9P) flannel quilt top then tacking it (using a decorative stitch) rather than quilting since the serger will help keep the flannel from fraying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast