Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a serger in quilting >

Using a serger in quilting

Using a serger in quilting

Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM

I am making, 13 a charm quilt from one of Nancy's books. I have a babylock evolve serger. I have it all together, the quarter inch seams pleased me,and everything went together great.The quilt is designed for the serger,so the seams go together without meeting at the same spot.This is my first twin size quilt. So I am having a few issues quilting on my sewing machine.I had to change to some easier quilting methods,as the cable was to hard for me on machine.I think the book is called Serge and Merge.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM

I love using my Serger for quilting - especially with cheep fabrics that ravel and denim. I have made each of my 4 grandchildren and my children a blue jean quilt and used the serger on all of them so that they would not ravel apart like the ones my mother spent so much time making for all of us ( 7 children and grandchildren) and over the years they raveled and came apart and had to be constantly repaired. I also find the serger great for serging strips and squares, then cutting the strips into triangles and making quick quilt tops. I love using the serger for adding sashing and to finish the edges before putting on the binding. If I have to unsew something, Just find the looper thread and pull, serging comes right apart and is quickly removed! NO PROBLEM. just receintly made wine coasters and tissue covers for quick "gifts" and made some sewing tool cases as retreat sharing gifts last fall and this spring. THe quilts I have taken to longarmers - that were serged, they have never complained about problems quilting them and they did c omment on how nice the finished seams looked. I am careful to alternate the seams so they go oppisite directions when putting rows, pieces, etc. together.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 AM

The serger quilt I made has some of the seams on the top of the quilt.As I'm quilting it,I have been wondering how the right side seams will look when I finish and wash it. I guessing it will be like a serged seam,and hold up just as if it were inside.Great to hear the longarmers didn't complain.