Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using washable Crayola markers >

Using washable Crayola markers

Using washable Crayola markers

Old 07-04-2015, 08:02 AM

Default Using washable Crayola markers

I've seen several posts of quilters using the washable Crayola markers on their quilts with good results. I've used them, but especially on white they left a yellow "shadow," even the gray. Are some colors more "washable" than others? I appreciate the experience from this board. And yes, I always test any markers before using.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:37 AM

I use the CWM's for all my markings and so far I have not had a problem with them not washing out. I will say that I have not used the black as that one color scares me as far as not washing out.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 AM

I have used them on occasion, but also have had occasional ones that didn't wash out. I don't use them as often anymore, but when I do, I test on every fabric in my quilt, not just 1-2. I have better luck with the washable markers I get from Blue Line Eraser and use the almost exclusively.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Try washing it again. Once, my markings did not all come out, and I rewashed it. Also, check the box to see what temp the water should be. That might make a difference.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 AM

The washable markers are about the only thing I used to mark my quilts with. I have had a time or two that I found a marking or two that did not wash out completely the first time. As yngldy said, wash the quilt again. The slight markings that remained did come out the second time I washed

What I do now, is I pretreat.. (but the laundry pretreaters such as Shout, Spray-n-Wash are too expensive) I have a spray bottle that I fill half up with Dawn liquid dish soap then fill the rest up with water and shake well to mix. Then I just spray the markings with the watered down Dawn liquid..everything washes out now. I would suggest using a bigger bottle only because the smaller the bottle the smaller the spray ... and less that gets sprayed out. So it takes longer with a smaller bottle
Old 07-05-2015, 10:44 AM

That is all I mark with and never have any trouble with them washing out. I wash in warm water with standard detergent, maybe just a bit extra, and everything washes out.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:27 AM

Make sure you use the Ultra Clean markers, not the regular washable. Also, the crayons come out even easier than the fine-point markers. I agree about testing them before you mark. I try to always do that any time I am marking a visible part of my quilt (i.e., not for marking needle-turn applique).

Things I've found to be helpful with stubborn marks:
(1) put it in the bathtub with COLD water & a Shout Color Catcher and let it soak for 10-15 minutes
(2) drain the water from the tub
(3) run more cold water in tub with the drain OPEN & gently agitate with your hands; if needed, add a tiny amount of Woolite or Tide Free & Clear (1st line on cap) and rub gently until marks disappear
(4) rinse with clear, cool water
(5) log roll fabric to squeeze out excess water
(6) lie flat to dry if possible, or line dry but reposition frequently to prevent distortion of fabric
(7) bind
(8) wash on cold hand-wash cycle with Tide Free & Clear
(9) tumble dry on low (or lay it flat on the lawn to dry)

Make sure you definitely do not dry it in the clothes dryer until all visible marks are gone. If you have already done that and the soaking/hand agitation doesn't work, I'd try maybe using some hair spray to see if that will pull the ink out. I've done that once or twice when I realized after the fact that I had a couple small stray marks that I missed.

Good luck. Sorry to hear you're having issues with the markers. I swear by them, but get a bit panicked every time after the first rinse when the colors bleed. The color catchers definitely help my peace of mind.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:54 AM

I've never used these markers, but I just wondered if you have possibly ironed over the markings before you washed them out? That could cause them to not wash out.....
Old 07-06-2015, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I use dark washable markers for my quilts. So far they have always came out in the wash. I wash everything in cold water tide, of course using cold water.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:11 AM

So far when I have used them they wash right out. However, white is a difficult problem...recently I used a blue chalk marker on white...you should be able to just brush it away but it stayed kind of stuck under the stitching. I was able to rewash and brush while wet and it came off but It leads me to believe that white can be a problem.