View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Bree123

Make sure you use the Ultra Clean markers, not the regular washable. Also, the crayons come out even easier than the fine-point markers. I agree about testing them before you mark. I try to always do that any time I am marking a visible part of my quilt (i.e., not for marking needle-turn applique).

Things I've found to be helpful with stubborn marks:
(1) put it in the bathtub with COLD water & a Shout Color Catcher and let it soak for 10-15 minutes
(2) drain the water from the tub
(3) run more cold water in tub with the drain OPEN & gently agitate with your hands; if needed, add a tiny amount of Woolite or Tide Free & Clear (1st line on cap) and rub gently until marks disappear
(4) rinse with clear, cool water
(5) log roll fabric to squeeze out excess water
(6) lie flat to dry if possible, or line dry but reposition frequently to prevent distortion of fabric
(7) bind
(8) wash on cold hand-wash cycle with Tide Free & Clear
(9) tumble dry on low (or lay it flat on the lawn to dry)

Make sure you definitely do not dry it in the clothes dryer until all visible marks are gone. If you have already done that and the soaking/hand agitation doesn't work, I'd try maybe using some hair spray to see if that will pull the ink out. I've done that once or twice when I realized after the fact that I had a couple small stray marks that I missed.

Good luck. Sorry to hear you're having issues with the markers. I swear by them, but get a bit panicked every time after the first rinse when the colors bleed. The color catchers definitely help my peace of mind.