Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using wedding gown to make a quilt >

Using wedding gown to make a quilt

Using wedding gown to make a quilt

Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM

My wedding gown is 42 years old and will not be worn by another. I have no children or grandchildren. I would like to make a wall hanging or something from it. It is satin and re-embroidered lace. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

I don't have any ideas, but I would welcome them also.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 PM

I've seen places online that have examples of quilts, etc. made from wedding gowns. You might try to do a search on Google. You're sure to find several. :wink:
Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Banned

I would do a crazy quilt design...probably on a bigger scale and add some other satins...in darker creams, beiges and tans...add lots of lace and pearls....I have a vision of how beautiful that could be...LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM

I don't have children but my niece was married in June so I made her a wedding tote bag from my mother's (her grandmother's) wedding gown.

She loved it and felt part of Nana was with her on her special day. I lined it with a favorite light weight jacket of her grandfathers.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 PM

I want to make one too. I have only been married so I am not ready to cut my own dress up yet. So I bought a wedding dress on craigslist for 50 bucks and have slowly been cutting away at it. I fanned out the beaded part of the train and left it as one piece. I also bought some black tux like fabric. i haven't gotten much further than that. I want to go with a simpler pattern. The other colors I had in my wedding were champagne dresses and red roses. So I might add some red and/or champagne. I can't decide if I want to add some more of the funky fabrics or add some cottons.

You have any plans? I would leave some of the prettiest parts cut out in just big pieces. Like the train of boddice or what have you. I wanted to leave one piece so you could still tell that it comes from a dress. You should take some pics. let us see what you have! Good luck. It took me several days to make the cut on a dress that wasn't mine. That first cut is a biggie. :)
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM

I don't have any ideas, either, but would like to do something like that, too. I don't have any children or grandchildren either.

My dress is almost 38 years old and has been stored away for those many years. I doubt if I could get into it now. My mother-in-law (a very good seamstress) saw one on TV and made mine just like it...very beautiful). She could just look at something and go home and make it. I have to have a pattern with detailed instructions.

I will bookmark this if you don't care and see what ideas others have.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 PM

What an awesome idea! I wanted to make my son a christening gown out of my wedding dress but everyone was so not for that idea that I didn't do it. Now I truly wish I would have kept my ears closed to them diagreeing with my idea. Good Luck I'm sure it will be Beautiful!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:45 PM

I used some vintage lace and fabric from wedding and baptismal gowns and special occasion fabrics to make a small crazy quilt for the Alliance for the American Quilt Fundraiser in 2009. All of the quilts entered were shown at Quilt Festival in Houston. It was a huge thrill to see my little 16 x 16 quilt there. The quilts were later sold on auction and money went to the AAQ. It made for a nice little quilt. I'm sure a bigger one would be even more stunning. Here's the link if you want to see the quilt

http://quiltindex.kora.matrix.msu.ed...20week%203.pdf

Oh, it's #3 Mary Marcotte
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 PM

I have seen somewhere they took the whole front of the gown and appliqued it all down on the background fabric. It was wonderful. The back was used in borders. ?