Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for "summer weight" quilt?

Suggestions for "summer weight" quilt?

I need to replace the tattering quilt on my bed (insert sobbing noises here) so we slept under the Ugly Quilt last night. It's too hot for the summertime, so I am trying to think of something I can do that will be "summer weight" ... anyone have any suggestions? I don't know if there's a lightweight batting or if I should use something else in the middle layer, but I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks.

I would use the thinnest poly batting or a flannel sheet that has been washed a dozen times as the inside.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Power Poster
    Some people have just made a top with a backing/lining (only two layers).

Surprisingly, very light weight wool is not "hot"

Recently I bought what I thought was a beautiful set of sheets. When I got them home to wash, I discovered I had bought a Duvey cover. So I took it apart, had 2 layers, sent it to my neice to LA. She put a light batting between the layers and quilted it. Its a perfect summer quilt. There are no seams from piecing, surprising how much weight all those seams add to a quilt!! I just love it!!

There is a very lightweight poly batt called Thermore by Hobbs. I've used it for summer quilts, it's perfect for that.

Summer weight for where?
    The heat of the tropics? or?

My summer quilt is a traditionally pieced quilt top with flannelette for the batting.

With the tri-layer of cotton, it is not warm, as cotton breathes.
    While light in weight, I would avoid a polyester, as they don't breathe the same and in essence can be quite warm!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

You could use a bamboo or bamboo blend batting. It is very lightweight, breathes well, and is antibacterial. I used one in my MIL's quilt and it feels very light in comparison to Warm and Natural.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Summer weight for where?
    The heat of the tropics? or?

My summer quilt is a traditionally pieced quilt top with flannelette for the batting.

With the tri-layer of cotton, it is not warm, as cotton breathes.
    While light in weight, I would avoid a polyester, as they don't breathe the same and in essence can be quite warm!

I live very slightly northwest of Houston. It's 106 degrees right now; I just came in the house, and it's a trifle warm out there!

The batting in the ugly quilt is cotton and it was so hot last night it was ridiculous. Maybe the bamboo or something might work ...

Here in the desert of the Southwest a sheet is too hot.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I live in s. Texas and have a bed runner to decorate my room and just cover with a sheet. It's not mandatory to use a quilt.

I live in North Texas and it was 102 here today. Unless the air conditioner is way down a sheet is just right, so probably just the two layers would be enough.

I made one without any batting. It was EASY to quilt on my sewing machine and it is queen size. I seldom even use it but like it when making the bed.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Everything is hot to me right now. I also did a summer quilt with no batting and just quilted through the top and backing. It does not add the dimensional aspect, but it is just right on temperature.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

A nice thin cotton batting is Cream white or Cream Rose. Just enough to give some texture but not enough to be warm. I like it better than flannel as it has just a bit of loft. It also drapes beautifully.

My summer quilt is white with big blue squares - it looks light and cool. But at night i turn it down and sleep under the sheet only.

Blog Entries
    I live in UK and at present we are having a heat wave we think. Getting up to 30 c ( 86) in midday. Toooooooohot for me. I am sleeping without any cover quilt goes on bed as I get out .
    Finished is better than a UFO

you might think I am crazy, but I'd go with a wool bat - incredible breathability - warm in winter and cool in summer. plus you can't beat the stitch definition you get with wool. I, too, live in Texas and use wool in all of my personal quilts. my internal temperature also runs very hot, but the wool works for me,

if you go with a cotton, you could always use a thinner loft, like quilter's dream (They have multiple lofts of cotton) or even use plain old muslin inside your quilt to give it some body, but not a lot of weight.

I wish I could get away with just a sheet - I mean, it's hotter than Hades outside, but my husband keeps the house at 72 degrees, which is a bit cool to me at night. I'll look for the quilters dream and the wool, as it's come up a couple of times and try them out.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I live in UK and at present we are having a heat wave we think. Getting up to 30 c ( 86) in midday. Toooooooohot for me.
    Oh, if only. We're hovering around 95 to 103.

I've made two quilts for "summer". Just top and flannet sheet for backing. Still too warm but works for us. Had them both sent out for quilting and no issues for the long armer...just need to note...quilting will not be as pronounced since no batting.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

A light quilt could be just the top and backing. It works great when you want a cover but not the warmth. I have made quilts like this for exchange girls we have had from Thailand. They loved their quilts. Have you also thought that you could put a quilt on the bed and remove it at night. That way you bed and room looks great and you will sleep great too. Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    I used thermore because it is so light. With it a whole cloth top and organza for the back. It quilted up beautifully and since the organza is slippery and shows the quilting so well, that became the top. Made another one witha pieced top and love that one too. The problem was that the quilt was made with batiks and in my rush I grabbed a binding in regular fabric which shrank. Some day I'll redo the binding, maybe! I'll see if I can take a picture of the pieced (and appliqued) one today or tomorrow.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Quote Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
    I live very slightly northwest of Houston. It's 106 degrees right now; I just came in the house, and it's a trifle warm out there!

The batting in the ugly quilt is cotton and it was so hot last night it was ridiculous. Maybe the bamboo or something might work ...
    And humid, if you're close to Houston! It was about 105 here (north of Dallas) yesterday but it's somewhat drier, thank goodness. However, my oven is dry, too, but it's still hot!

Quote Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
    I live in North Texas and it was 102 here today. Unless the air conditioner is way down a sheet is just right, so probably just the two layers would be enough.
    Oops! I misquoted yesterday's temp in a reply to another poster. It was 105 in my car. (I'm right up 380 from you).

I made a summer weight quilt last year and the batting was the key. I bought a blend of silk, bamboo, cotton and poly. A tad expensive but worth every penny. Also it quilted like a dream! I bought it online and I think it was from Thousandsofbolts.com. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast