Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On the verge of crying.  Uneven Janome stitches with walking foot. >

On the verge of crying. Uneven Janome stitches with walking foot.

On the verge of crying. Uneven Janome stitches with walking foot.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM

You don't say what model of Janome you have. I had a similiar problem with my 8900 but upon checking the Accufed walking foot, I noticed that the back of the foot that attaches to the back of the needle bar had slipped out of place. I think this can happen when I try to stitch at the fastest speed. I have a Babylock walking foot and the instructions that came with that foot said to sew at medium speed, not too fast. I have much better stitch if I don't exceed the medium speed.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The whole quilt must be supported around the machine or you will get drag which will effect the stitch length. Unless your machine is set into a table, even catching on the machine edge or the surround will hold up the sandwich. Stitching through more seam allowances in some spots with also effect the stitch size, the more layers to stitch through, the smaller/tighter the stitches.

Another thing to check....on my Bernina the walking foot attaches to the machine BUT there is an arm the must go onto the needle bar where you tighten the needle. If your machine is the same, check that the bar is where it is supposed to be or the walking foot has trouble " walking"
I thought of this, too. Make sure the screw holding the arm on to the needle bar is tight. A wobbly walking foot, even if not apparent, may cause the problem you're having.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:37 PM

If you machine has a pressure foot adjustment, you may need to reduce the pressure on the foot and allows the sandwich to feed properly. I have two Juki machines and do adjust this when quilting. And, of course, one of the first rules with walking foot is to sew slow.

Old Spice
Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I agree, I was practicing and I have a large table but still needed more support. Just pulled my ironing board over and that helped. DH is going to help me put together the quilt suspension frame in kate henry's thread.
Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
This is what I think too. Can you add an extra table or two to help hold the weight?