Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On the verge of crying.  Uneven Janome stitches with walking foot. >

On the verge of crying. Uneven Janome stitches with walking foot.

On the verge of crying. Uneven Janome stitches with walking foot.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:07 PM

Default On the verge of crying. Uneven Janome stitches with walking foot.

Trying to cross hatch a 66 inch square quilt made up of 1 1/2 inch squares. Test small piece stitches out fine but when I wrangle the actual quilt under it i get some perfect stitches and then at random a whole bunch of very tiny ones then back to regular. Any ideas? This has not been my day.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:21 PM

What comes to mind is maybe you are inadvertently pulling on the quilt? Or maybe the walking foot is defective. Have you made a practice block to see if your stiches are normal? If not, I would do that. It might just be the tension gets too tight on the big quilt. Also, try retreating your machine and even change your needle to one with a bigger eye. Do one thing at a time to see what works. Good luck. Gina
Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

The quilt might be dragging and holding back so the stitches are tiny?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
This is what I think too. Can you add an extra table or two to help hold the weight?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

The whole quilt must be supported around the machine or you will get drag which will effect the stitch length. Unless your machine is set into a table, even catching on the machine edge or the surround will hold up the sandwich. Stitching through more seam allowances in some spots with also effect the stitch size, the more layers to stitch through, the smaller/tighter the stitches.

Another thing to check....on my Bernina the walking foot attaches to the machine BUT there is an arm the must go onto the needle bar where you tighten the needle. If your machine is the same, check that the bar is where it is supposed to be or the walking foot has trouble " walking"
Old 01-18-2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I agree. The quilt is hanging up somewhere. There are several things you can do to try and fix this.

Larger table to support the quilt.
Clamps hanging from ceiling or above work table to lift up quilt.
"Magic Halo" or similar device may help you move the quilt easier.
Silicone slider or something similar on top of the table, makes it easier to slide quilt over table.
Quilting gloves help you grip and move the quilt easier.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

I agree that it is probably the weight of the quilt that is the problem -- especially with that word "wrangle". The ideal would be to suspend the quilt:
http://www.jennoop.com/suspenders.html
This eliminates drag as you work. Meanwhile, if you can spread the quilt out over a larger surface, that will help.

The walking foot expects to be "fed" the quilt. If there is any tension on the quilt (for example, quilt draped over front of sewing machine cabinet), this will interfere with the ability of both the feed dogs and walking foot to move the quilt while forming stitches.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 PM

I use my ironing board to help support my quilt....in case that could help give you extra support... I just place mine to the left of my sewing machine desk, at a right angle. It really helps me.

Just a though, in case it could be of use to you.

Dina
Old 01-19-2015, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I have an L shape set up. One table against the wall behind the machine and two along the left. I don't wrangle the quilt I have it all spread out on the tables and it's easy to sew with not bunching. It does pool in my lap some, going one way. For cross hatching I go one way I don't turn the quilt to go the opposite way when I get to the end, I start at the end I started on for the first line. It's so much easier this way. I bought folding in the middle tables and can put them away when I'm not machine quilting.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:34 PM

I agree with what others are saying. The only thing I can add is don't go too fast with the walking foot. It likes to walk, not run.