Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Very Best Things About Sewing >

The Very Best Things About Sewing

The Very Best Things About Sewing

Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM

My mom taught me to sew as a child and told me one day, "Everyone should have a hobby they love because a good hobby is like being with your best friend, always there for you, good times or bad." For me, my sewing has always been "MY" place that gives me energy and lifts me up whether it is a garment for myself, a special gift for someone or even just re-organizing my fabric. On a bad day it grounds me and on a good day my imagination just flows. I just have to pick up a piece of fabric and my sense of peaceful creativity returns. So if we take away our tendency to strive for the perfect stitch or prize winning quilts what is it that we all love so much.

What is your very best thing or memory or experience of sewing and quilting?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Power Poster

My favorite memories of sewing and quilting were those with my Mom. I miss her so much. Today would have been her birthday and I was quite blue, but I have good memories.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:29 PM

I remember my Mom making a quilt & using the bed to lay it out & work on it. I never realized how hard that must have been until I started quilting myself. I miss her too & wish she could have seen what she inspired in me!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 PM

I also believe everyone should have a hobby, I've taught my DD's this as well.
Idle hands can get a person in trouble. :)
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Power Poster

When I tackle something that is particularly hard (or persnickety) and I trudge on and succeed and learn - my hobby makes me grow as a person, as an artist, and it is such a feeling of accomplishment. Nothing else compares to it.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 PM

When I am sewing, I get a "runner's high" and lose myself completely. I have been known to lose track of time and sew all day until I can barely stand up! It gives me a feeling of accomplishment and connection with my loved ones who are no longer here.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:41 PM

My favorite memories are spending time 'til the wee hours of the morning stitching clothes with my Grama's Singer on their back porch in the Summertime. Boy I sure miss them, thanks for bringing those memories back :-D .
Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt
My favorite memories are spending time 'til the wee hours of the morning stitching clothes with my Grama's Singer on their back porch in the Summertime. Boy I sure miss them, thanks for bringing those memories back :-D .
I remember rolling tobacco with my Grandpa....but I guess that was a different hobby. lol
Old 11-06-2010, 11:55 PM

My crafts also ground me. They are my stress release & when I'm away from them for any length of time I get very tense. No matter how badly my body hurts, a good day is one where I've accomplished something with my crafts; whether it's drawing up an original pattern for something or making headway on a project. Favorite memories are of my girls standing over me, asking, "Is it done yet?" as I made them special items because they couldn't wait to wear them.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 AM

My best experience with sewing is when i try something new and manage to complete it without stress! It a real sense of accomplishment for me. Then there is the "cleaning up the sewing area" I do that to get inspiration for the next project.