Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: vibration from machine?

Blog Entries

vibration from machine?

Hi everyone--
    i have my new viking tribute, and i LUFF her. but, when i kicked up the speed on the straight stitch, i got some vibration. she sits on top of an oak sewing cabinet (we need to make some adjustments before she can sit IN the cabinet). i'm sure this is not a new to me situation--but what has anyone done to reduce the vibration?

thank you so much! (and everyone, please stay cool today!)

betsey

HI, I also have a new Viking - Saphire - it is a noisy machine at high speed - it is in my sewing table and at high speed it does vibrate somewhat - since I never really sew at that speed I am not too worried about it. Will follow this discussion to see what others have to say. Thanks for raising the question.

I made a mat out of a cushion-y shelf liner product to place under my machine. I need to prevent my machine from "walking" across the table so it will fit in the free arm slot when I fold the extension up. You could use other things like old mouse pads, yoga mat, etc. You might also have some vibration coming from the original cut-out space, so wedging pieces of the matting or some foam could keep that from moving while you sew.
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
    Hi everyone--
    i have my new viking tribute, and i LUFF her. but, when i kicked up the speed on the straight stitch, i got some vibration. she sits on top of an oak sewing cabinet (we need to make some adjustments before she can sit IN the cabinet). i'm sure this is not a new to me situation--but what has anyone done to reduce the vibration?

thank you so much! (and everyone, please stay cool today!)

betsey
    I had the same problem and I use a piece of carpeting under my sewing machine that I use at the lake . no more vibration.

Power Poster
    The foam drawer line works well to reduce vibration. A solid surface works the best for less vibration. I have one machine on a built in desk and one on a table and the built in doesn't vibrate like the table.

My sewing machines vibrate when at classes on plastic tables but at home in the cabinet they are fine. I think the ideas of some type of mat is a great idea

Banned
    Blog Entries
    the cheapest and BEST thing I have used for years is a bound carpet sample...they run about $1 at most carpet stores.
    I like a medium pile as it doubles as a pin keep...hehehhe

Blog Entries
    thank you for the great ideas...will look into getting a mat underneath it. and wow..the carpet sample idea is a GREAT ONE!