Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting rid of vibration noise..help!!!!! >

Getting rid of vibration noise..help!!!!!

Getting rid of vibration noise..help!!!!!

Old 10-21-2018, 01:59 AM

Default Getting rid of vibration noise..help!!!!!

Oh I've got a new sewing machine....a lovely, lovely new sewing machine....another Juki to keep my TL2010Q company. It's great, I love it except that it makes an annoying whirring, buzzing noise when I'm sewing. The noise increases as I increase the speed and it slows down when I slow down. I initially thought there may have been something wrong with it so I took it back to the shop but it sewed beautifully there.....and soooooo quiet! I just wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there and seen for myself.

I've brought my lovely little machine home and have tried everything I can think of to improve it. I've tried 3 different tables, and underneath the machine I have tried carpet, cardboard, rubber mat, thickly folded fabric and bench laminate but nothing stops the noise! It even does it sitting on my heavy oak dining table!!!!!!!!!!

So I have 2 options: (1) Just accept the noise and make sure I have the radio on when I'm sewing.
or
(2) Take my sewing machine back to the sewing machine shop and use their bench every time I want to sew! LOL..just a teeny bit impractical don't you think!!

I don't suppose anyone else has had this problem and found a solution I haven't thought of?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:18 AM

I ended up cutting up an old shock absorbing saddle pad that I had for my horse and setting it under my last sewing machine.
Luckily, my new one doesn't do that unless I go full out, which I rarely do. I just have shelf liver under it.
Have you tried maybe placing something shock absorbing under the legs of your table if that is possible? Just a thought.

Watson
Old 10-21-2018, 03:26 AM

Strange problem! How about earphones with music on? We live near a bridge and for a few months when we first moved in we heard all the traffic, now we hear nothing. Our ears have become accustomed to the noise and filters it out. Now we just enjoy the view!
After a while perhaps your mind will filter out the sound too!?!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:39 AM

I googled your problem and came up with a couple possible solutions. Don't know if they would work or not but would be worth a try. One suggestion was to use a garden kneeling mat beneath your machine. Perhaps the spongy mat would absorb some of the vibration and noise. Another person said she folded up a fleece throw and placed it beneath her machine. She said it did the trick for her. Just thought I would pass along what I found. Wishing you luck. Also just found various sites where you can buy mats on which to set your machine. It states they will absorb the vibration. You might ask at your local sewing center.

Last edited by abc123xyz; 10-21-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:21 AM

Just saw on "the sewing loft" a cute idea for a sewing machine mat. Says it helps cut down on noise and has a portion that hangs down to store sewing tools. It is backed with gripper shelf liner to keep it in place. Do a search for sewing machine mat under that site. Just thought it might be an idea for some with the holiday season coming up.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Maybe the sounds is coming from the thread, was your thread set up any different at the shop?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I have a Brother 8500D that makes a distinctive sound of a 'spring' being sprung every second. The dealer isn't any help as she is pushing the new models at me. Repair guy claims he can't hear it so can't fix it. He needs to retire. It drives me crazy even if other noise is around me. Odd it doesn't do it when embroidering (it embroiders beautifully) only sewing. I won't use it for regular sewing because of the irritating 'ting'.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:43 AM

I bought a new to me glass top dining room table and chairs. I sew on it. The vibration is terrible. I put a mat under it; that helps but does not eliminate the vibration and noise. I think the vibration is due to how far apart the legs of the table are and how light weight the sewing machine is.

But you said you've used several different tables and get the same result. Perhaps putting a piece of shelving cut to the size of the sewing machine under the sewing machine would resolve the problem? Just a thought.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Jukis are noisy... especially with the walking foot on! My Juki longarm is quieter than my Juki 2010Q.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:39 PM

You said it sewed beautifully at the shop. How is the setup there different than your setup at home?

Put your machine directly on top of the leg section of the table, not smack in the middle of the table.